Crew Cab Update NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painfull Heath! Painfull! So take me back again... you had already rebuilt this motor, and it went south on you during it's trials did it not? Was this a failure on your part, or a a machine shops boo boo? Everybody wants to know how to prevent this sort of thing.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, unless he sent the block to a machine shop, it sounds like it was just plain bad luck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel,

Heath can go into detail, but this was the original engine with 300k+ N/A on it. I am not sure if he had any machining done before, but he pulled the engine, replaced the head gaskets, installed studs, rebuilt the oil cooler to have have fresh gaskets in it with the turbo. On the was to your rally, about 30 miles out it started puking coolant....

Now that he has dissected it, this is what he found.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,

Heath can go into detail, but this was the original engine with 300k+ N/A on it. I am not sure if he had any machining done before, but he pulled the engine, replaced the head gaskets, installed studs, rebuilt the oil cooler to have have fresh gaskets in it with the turbo. On the was to your rally, about 30 miles out it started puking coolant....

Now that he has dissected it, this is what he found.....

That's pretty dang good Scott!:hail The used oil analysis done before pulling the heads the 1st time showed a very small amount of coolant. The headgasket was starting to fail on the #1 cylinder (seen at the time the heads where pulled last year). The heads where gone through and reported as good. I put on a set of VR headgaskets, ARP studs, turbo, and put it back together. There were other issues (bad flywheel, injector failures, blah, blah, blah), but the headgasket let go within a few thousand miles as Scott said, on my way to the Rally in PA. It would only spew coolant when pulling the camper. It never got hot, until the last camping trip we took and I was dang close to home thank God.

Now, I've pulled it out and apart once again, to find the failure you seen in the photos and the culprit is the warped deck. Now, hopfully fixed with decking the block. I'm completely rebuilding it to ensure a reliable hauler for the family camper. Like I stated before....... IF IT FAILS AGAIN, OTHER MEASURES WILL BE TAKEN.:eek:

Heath

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a N-14 cummins I can get my hands on cheap if he wants a real power boost. And yes I do know how large a N-14 is. I swapped out the one that this one was supposed to replaced before we found a redtop N-14

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly.LOL
I've got a N-14 cummins I can get my hands on cheap if he wants a real power boost. And yes I do know how large a N-14 is. I swapped out the one that this one was supposed to replaced before we found a redtop N-14
No Cummins for me thank you.

I'm thinking more along these lines:...
You must be registered for see images

:love::hail:angel:

Heath

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly.LOL
No Cummins for me thank you.

I'm thinking more along these lines:...
You must be registered for see images

:love::hail:angel:

Heath

How many you want. We've got 11 school buses rotting at the yard all with 360s in them.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've been parked there for a while now. I'll ask the boss what he wants for one of them tomorrow. I would do it today but twisting through a compartment to change a starter on a tour bus is a good way to tweak your back the wrong way.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been parked there for a while now. I'll ask the boss what he wants for one of them tomorrow. I would do it today but twisting through a compartment to change a starter on a tour bus is a good way to tweak your back the wrong way.

Sounds good!

Thanks.

Heath

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmm a 360.. what i could do with one of those!! hope yer 6.9 works this time, thats a mighty fine crew cab would love to see it keep the 6.9 in there. but on the other hand i do like the 360s.