Crew Cab Update NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it, I could rebuild the DT360 sitting in my garage and get it shoehorned into my truck for about the same amount of money I would have to throw into the IDI to get it making the amount of power I want; but the 360 would have the same amount of power, if not more than the IDI with only a bigger turbo and some pump tweaks. I'm just looking for around 300hp / 600ft.lbs. torque; easily attainable with the 360, yet on the very upper limits of what the IDI has been proven to be capable of.
I'd say that I recommend to Heath to go for a DT360, but that would mess up my plans of having the only DT360 powered, bullnose crew cab that I know of....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it, I could rebuild the DT360 sitting in my garage and get it shoehorned into my truck for about the same amount of money I would have to throw into the IDI to get it making the amount of power I want; but the 360 would have the same amount of power, if not more than the IDI with only a bigger turbo and some pump tweaks. I'm just looking for around 300hp / 600ft.lbs. torque; easily attainable with the 360, yet on the very upper limits of what the IDI has been proven to be capable of.
I'd say that I recommend to Heath to go for a DT360, but that would mess up my plans of having the only DT360 powered, bullnose crew cab that I know of....

All very true. But, I really will only do something like that as a last resort. I really want the 6.9 to stay and do what I bought the truck for. Haul the family and my camper around for some fun. That's not what happend at all this summer. Camping was limited to very close trips as it was puking coolant out the overflow. I was stressed to the max when hauling the camper as I was constantly worried it would overheat or just plain blow up. In fact, I made my wife and daughter ride in her Yukon and not with me.

I can't have that happen again. I'm completely rebuilting the 6.9 is hopes of acheiving that goal. Keeping my fingers crossed for a reliable, powerful, low maintaince 6.9 powered hauler.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Have faith Doc!

On the otherhand I'd hire ya on to help keep my shop organized.:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pistons, rings, wrist pins, came yesterday. So did another Valley Pan. UPS donkey punched the 1st one and it was bent all over the place. This one is in good shape thank goodness. I hope to have my bearings soon so I can get the balancing done on the rotating assembly.

Heath

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boss has to be smoking some real good carck. Yes I know how I spelled it but even smoking crack wouldn't justify the price he gave me so it has to be something else. He wants $3500 for an engine. I'm through trying to save him money after this one.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My boss has to be smoking some real good carck. Yes I know how I spelled it but even smoking crack wouldn't justify the price he gave me so it has to be something else. He wants $3500 for an engine. I'm through trying to save him money after this one.

:eek:cookoo

Oh well, hopfully I won't need one.:D

My cam bearings are in the block and all the machine work is finished. I will go to pick up the majority of it next wednesday. I'll leave all the stuff that spins for balancing. But, I'm still waiting on my main and rod bearings. They shipped yesterday.

Russ, when I get my cam back next week........ I'm sending it to you.;Sweet

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my rod and main bearings from Hypermax yesterday. I'll head to Evansville, IN in the morning to pick up the block, heads, and cam. I'm leaving them my crank, rods, rod bearings, wrist pins, new pistons, rings, harmonic balancer with pulley, SMF, pressure plate, and disk to have the entire rotating assembly balanced. Those parts will be done with balancing next wednesday.

I'm getting excited to start putting this 6.9 back together again. :love::hail

Heath

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my rod and main bearings from Hypermax yesterday. I'll head to Evansville, IN in the morning to pick up the block, heads, and cam. I'm leaving them my crank, rods, rod bearings, wrist pins, new pistons, rings, harmonic balancer with pulley, SMF, pressure plate, and disk to have the entire rotating assembly balanced. Those parts will be done with balancing next wednesday.

I'm getting excited to start putting this 6.9 back together again. :love::hail

Heath

man waht does it cost to get all that balanced?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure to be honest. I just paid the total bill for all the machine work which includes the balancing. That was $1100. I'll ask specifically about the balance work when I'm there in the morning. Their "balancing guy" wants every part of the engine that spins with the crank to be balanced. I'm not sure if that's standard or not. This is the first time I've had it done (IDI or otherwise). I'll definately be doing the same with my DT466 project down the road.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A fair price for balancing all the above is around $150.00 on this coast. Having all the spinning parts is the only true way to balance the rotating parts. You don't need the main bearings for any balance work... They don't spin... Hopefully.....:eek::angel:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A fair price for balancing all the above is around $150.00 on this coast. Having all the spinning parts is the only true way to balance the rotating parts. You don't need the main bearings for any balance work... They don't spin... Hopefully.....:eek::angel:

Shoot, I wish it were just $150. Looking at the invoice this morning it cost me $220 to have all that stuff balanced. It should be done next Wednesday. I hope it is and that it is done correctly.

Heath

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I wish it were just $150. Looking at the invoice this morning it cost me $220 to have all that stuff balanced. It should be done next Wednesday. I hope it is and that it is done correctly.

Heath

Well look at it this way, it's a matter of supply and demand.

There's more of us unbalanced folk in Klownifornia, therefor, mass production is less expensive than custom wunzie twozies.

Simple economics.

Feel better now?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
220 isnt a bad price. Mine was 200 . 5 ish yrs ago.
the clutch disc does not need to be balanced with the pp.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well look at it this way, it's a matter of supply and demand.

There's more of us unbalanced folk in Klownifornia, therefor, mass production is less expensive than custom wunzie twozies.

Simple economics.

Feel better now?
Didn't feel too bad about it, but $150 would have been nice eh?LOL

220 isnt a bad price. Mine was 200 . 5 ish yrs ago.
the clutch disc does not need to be balanced with the pp.
The guy who does the balancing is not the guy I talked to on the phone. The phone guy said bring everything that spins. I asked about the pressure plate and disk, he said "probably, but, if he doesn't need it........ it's not big deal.":dunno:D

Heath

Last edited: