Crazy Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Driving my truck last couple of days the trans is doing some crazy ****.Go down the road turn a corner or just driving and trans goes like it was kicked out of gear.Free wheeling so turn truck off and restart and back to normal.Driving today and started shifting hard and OFF light blinking on shift handle,turn it off everything back to normal.Has been doing this off and on for last 4 years and wish someone could tell me how to fix this crazy thing.Bought new TPS and neutral safety switch and still does it after changing them out.I have a banks trans command on my truck and am wondering if that has something to do with it?...Anybody got any answers that has had same crazy ****?

tractorhead

Reaction score
The trans command can easily be tested by bypassing it. Unplug both plugs and replug the truck harness into the trans harness. My 92 f350 was acting like this and it was the shift switch on the transmission

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
On trans command you can't do that as two wires from box are plugged into original harness.The shift switch you called it,are you referring to neutral safety switch on side of trans?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now this probably is NOT your issue. Is your transmission low on fluid? I'm only asking because of the feeling like it's in neutral going around corners. My first car was an old POS that leaked about every fluid that it could. I could remember to check the oil, but the transmission, why that took patience! When it was low on fluid, it would free rev around corners like yours. Sometimes it's just that simple. Other times not.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On trans command you can't do that as two wires from box are plugged into original harness.The shift switch you called it,are you referring to neutral safety switch on side of trans?

There is a seperate pig tail with 3 wires that came from the original truck harness. This is used to bypass the trans command for diagnosis work. I don't remember what 2 wires to jump if you don't have the original adapter, but a Google search will tell you.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this probably is NOT your issue. Is your transmission low on fluid? I'm only asking because of the feeling like it's in neutral going around corners. My first car was an old POS that leaked about every fluid that it could. I could remember to check the oil, but the transmission, why that took patience! When it was low on fluid, it would free rev around corners like yours. Sometimes it's just that simple. Other times not.

I agree, I have had auto trannies do the same thing. They usually pop out of gear when cold and you first start out, and as the fluid heats up and expands it works ok, except around sharp turns, where it pops out of drive and then goes back in by itself. They were low on fluid each time.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
It may do it at any time and nothing to do with the way you drive it!Have had very hot temps and did it 4 times one day.I've read up and they call the blinking light and free wheeling Limp mode but what is the cause and even better what is the fix?As stated earlier I've changed TPS and Neutral safety switch and still same results.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is check your fluid, is it burned, low...
Then isolate the trans command so it doesn't have any input on the trans. That will help eliminate that as a problem. My truck HAD one too, sometimes it worked most of the time it didn't got tired of it and didn't like the way it was shifting so I eliminated it completely.
After isolating it either pull codes yourself of have a shop do it. If the od light was flasing at any point the code should still be there.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Trans command works all the time and this truck actually did the same crazy **** before I put command on it.Did the command on it to tighten up sloppy factory shifts to save transmission.Fluid changed every 30,000 and truck only has 128,000...Again why is it doing it?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans command works all the time and this truck actually did the same crazy **** before I put command on it.Did the command on it to tighten up sloppy factory shifts to save transmission.Fluid changed every 30,000 and truck only has 128,000...Again why is it doing it?

Well you've been given ideas to check and you don't seem to think those are valid. Instead of just asking for the answer you need to start heading some advice and start looking at things.

I'm not going to retype what I have already suggested...

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
First there are some smart people here who know what makes these trucks tick and nostrokes appears your not one of them.Giving stupid replies won't fix a problem.I'm alot older and been mechanicing a lot longer then you so unless you have something constructive to add don't write anything at all especially something smart ass!

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow ask for help then bite the hand that feeds... Great way of getting help.

Buy the way this is a public forum that anybody can look at so please watch your language.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First there are some smart people here who know what makes these trucks tick and nostrokes appears your not one of them.Giving stupid replies won't fix a problem.I'm alot older and been mechanicing a lot longer then you so unless you have something constructive to add don't write anything at all especially something smart ass!
You must have all the answers then. Personal attacks don’t go well on this forum, I would advise we stay on topic.

You asked if the trans command was part of the issue in your original post, so suggesting to bypass it to eliminate it as a possible issue is a good method of whittling down the probable causes. Your symptoms sounds exactly like an underfilled trans, I would add a quart and see what it does, if you had the OD light come on you most likely still have some codes that you can pull, that will help you find your issue.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Then I suggest that you direct that where it started and yes I do have answers!...{the personal attack on me}..Always remember don't start any and most of the time there won't be any!

Status
Not open for further replies.