cranks a lot before starting

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
mine smokes while cranking i know for sure i have atleast 1 bad gp what is the smoke a indication of

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine smokes while cranking i know for sure i have atleast 1 bad gp what is the smoke a indication of

That its getting fuel but its not burning the fuel enough to fire which is usaully an indication of the glow plugs not working, on 7.3 usaully if one plug is dead the rest wont get any heat

Black dawg

Reaction score
how long does the wait to start light stay on??? on the solid state system, a plug or two burnt out can shorten the on time enough to cause hard starting. they all still get power, but the burnt out plugs are not using any amperage, so the voltage goes up on the rest of them. so the controller shortens the on time to prevent burning out the rest very quickly.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I am not getting and smoke out the tailpipe when its cranking. I think once I get the chance ill swap out pick up pumps.

before you do that, plug the thing in for a few hours and then see if it fires up, if not then you got a fuel problem, but if it does fire right up then its most likely a glow plug system problem

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
the wait to start light stays on for awhile on the first key cycle but if i turn the key back and on again it goes right off but the clicking keeps on.

is the clicking the glowplug relay cycling i always just assumed that.

the truck has always been hard to start in a few months i will have had it 1 year its gotten alot worse lately since running waste oil i probably coated the gp's which seem to have never worked to well since that 1 year of ownership i put return lines water pump external block heater and alternator on it.
without the heater last winter i could not start it and now it takes about 2-3 tries even in 70-90 degree weather

Black dawg

Reaction score
should stay on more than 10 seconds at 80deg. Are you trying to start it with any wmo in the fuel?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
straight diesel on start and stop ok it stays on maybe maybe 5 or 6 sec on first key cycle but after that its instant off but the clicking contiues ... is it even susposed to click?

Black dawg

Reaction score
yes it will do the clicking thing after. id guess you have 2 or 3 bad plugs or wires

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 diesel was hard strating like that it was because the injection pump was not staying primed so it my you injection pump

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have 8 functioning glow plugs? When I bought my truck, I thought it started ok. It had two bad GPs, but when the third one failed, I found that starting the truck with five working GPs was really tough, especially when the weather dipped below 50.

Get a volt meter and confirm that all 8 GPs are working. Your starter and batteries will thank you ;Sweet

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
after the motor is warmed up one time it will crank easy the rest of the day without gp's

That is true, my 6.9 the glow plugs would only work onces in the day, the morning cold start, that's it, after the engine was up to temp* the WTS light would never come on again unless it's cooled off. Would always fire right up first turn of the starter!

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out all the glowplugs were good but one had a bad wire. Fixed the wire and it fires right up!

i wonder if that is the problem i have. All gp's are new and tested but no start w/o block heater. No smoke out tailpipe when cranking during the no-start situation.

how did you find the bad wire? was it broken off or just a bad connection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle