crank case presure?

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if itwas normal to have an electric current goin thru my oil presure regulater behind my air cleaner? Never saw this before and this is my first diesel truck n lookin for ne advice I can get to make this thing act right its a 7.3 na zf5 4wd and another question my truck won't hold reverse just pops out n is getn worse can't even hold it inne ideas of what it could be would be nice n how to check thanks guys

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That's not a regulator that's a what some call the oil pressure sending unit but in reality it's an oil pressure switch that turns on at 7psi so that it will deflect the needle on the dash to something above nothing... That is another wonderful thing about these Ford trucks is the lack of gauges... your oil pressure gauge on the dash will always read the same because it's hooked to a switch so if you have 50psi it will show the same as it does for 7psi... wonderful huh... but in reality we don't really need to know more than that because if you have 7psi at idle then you are good from there on out because as the engine turns more rpms then the pump is turning more so... you get the picture...

now for the reason that it's popping out of gear - sounds like the detents on the gear aren't catching - I've not rebuilt a zf5 before but rebuilt another brand of manual and that is what held the shift forks in place on it so I would assume it's the same with any manual. To fix this (if this is the case with the zf5) is to pull the tranny out and replace the little shoe detents. Which if you do that you might as well replace a bunch of other stuff while you are there and enjoy many more miles...

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there supose to b an electric current thru that sending unit cause I put my air cleaner on n it damn near lit me up like a roman candle

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there ne good way to go about disconnectin it my plugs are wasted ne way so just want to disconnnect for now