Couple ??'s for people living in PA

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
How many of you PA members live in a county where Emissions Inspections and required on gassers but not diesels?

Any who, is it rquired to have a muffler on a diesel as long as the exhaust exits behind the passenger compartment?

I am probably going to be having some legal issues about my truck being too loud :bs:mad::backoff-cuss

If it is required, what is the loudest muffler I could get in 4" that would be "street legal"? :sly

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also need to be concerned with frame and body rust on any vehicle to pass inspection in PA.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I got a memo a few months ago from the state that said on passenger trucks a Turbo is no longer considered a muffler and there must be a muffler present to pass

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I got a memo a few months ago from the state that said on passenger trucks a Turbo is no longer considered a muffler and there must be a muffler present to pass

Not saying you are lying but

That is a LOAD OF CHIT. If muffles the sound and as long as it is under their decibels, it is fine

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
turbo is not a muffler at least on a light truck. over a certain gvw, I believe 17k a turbo is considered
as for exiting, the tailpipe must exit the body this included the bed, just passing the cab doesnt fly anymore

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I'm just passing on what I was told to do as an inspector I agree it is BS not to say I do anything but I know some guys who don't care about mufflers for inspection :sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
my f-250 was all straight 5" no muffler and it was fine. :dunno i always said if it's a diesel in general it doesn't need one.. but.. i know people soooo ;p

-Jon

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short-- when the boys in blue show up to do a random quality assurance check, if you are inspecting a diesel, it had better have a muffler. What goes on when they aren't around is a totally different story. Their arguement is that although the turbo does change the sound of a vehicle, it IS NOT designed as a noise supressing device.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok talk to youre mech who will inspect it some will pass with turbo only some wont
a lot of pa inspection is mech discresion
but technically noise decibals is per township more than state related
now if you want a loud 4 inch muffler sleeve 4 ince pipe in 8 inch and drill a few holes in the 4 inch it legally is a muffler

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Texas is also cracking down on having no muffler. Sounds like all the states are starting to do it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I will dig out my inspection book when I get home ant tell you what it says word for word

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go buy a muffler and band clamps.stick it on with the clamps snugged,get inspected and pull it back off.whats the big deal?i been doin the same thing with cats for years.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I saw an ad for a "muffler" that was sleeved inside. I guess that would work if you only had a visual inspection... :D