Cops truck recycled again

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i finally replaced my crusty battery cable with the one from Cops truck. the new cable is in great shape but still did not fix my starting problems. cranks really slow then speeds up gradually. even warm starts are reluctant. i thought i was going to be stranded at the fuel station today but it did finally start.

swapped batteries with my spares and still no dice. i'm going to try the new batteries from my SD to confirm that i need a new starter. i have a spare starter that i am getting rebuilt.

then it's time for new glow plugs again. i thing i'll spring for the 12v constant duty plugs this time.

one other thing, can anyone confirm for sure the exact location under the dash of the black box that runs the intermittent wipers? still have to monkey with replacing that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you, no more than you use the IDI, why don't you get the much cheaper glow plugs intended for the GM 5.7L slow glow system. They are 12V glow plugs. I believe they are AC Delco 8G glow plugs. As far as the starter, yes it does sound like a starter problem...but it could be teh batteries. I'd do as you say and try the known good ones from the Super Duty and also check all your grounds. The constant duty marine glow plugs are also an AC Delco product which were originally intended for a Volvo marine diesel app. from some info I remember from the other site. I have always suspected they may be the very same as the ones for the old slow glow system. The thing is the wait time will be longer on your momentary toggle with either, maybe 10-15 seconds under normal conditions and 25 seconds or longer when it's really cold. But I doubt you could burn one out, unless maybe if you left them on all afternoon. Even then...its a definite maybe.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
hmm that's a thought. cheaper is better. do you know if the GM plugs are a direct fit? if they are 12 volt plugs they should be tough to burn out with 12 v batts.

i dont mind waiting longer as long as i get a reliable start.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Rob,
Sounds like that starter is on its' last leg. Goldies did the same thing to me last winter, thought it was batteries then.
Gotta love changing a starter in 20 degree weather.-cuss

As far as the black box for the wipers go, it is right directly behind the wiper switch as it ties into the wire harness for the wipers.

If the wipers ar goofing up doing the funky chicken, check the black ground wire on the box to the dash.

Chances are it has either broken loose or has lost contact with a good ground.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked it up on the web...its NOT the 8G ACs I believe its the 12G ACs for a 79 Olds diesel. Make sure that they are the 12v variety. My grandfather had this setup in the Olds that got7 me started on diesels. It would take forever on some of those winter days...its called the slow glow system, but it always started immediately. I am almost 100% sure they are a direct fit, they have the 1.0mmX10 thread just like our glow plugs and the same spade conns.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
IIRC, all the GM diesels take the same plugs. If that's the case the newest AC60g's should fit and not burn out. They are 12V plugs that are self regulating so they don't burn out. The older GM plugs (9g's and 11g's) are 6V and will burn out if left on too long. There are also the Wellman quick heats that are sold on ebay, but I haven't had great luck with them... If you choose the older GM plugs you will probably have a hard time finding them. Just .02 from a GM guy.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The constant duty marine glow plugs are also an AC Delco product which were originally intended for a Volvo marine diesel app. from some info I remember from the other site. I have always suspected they may be the very same as the ones for the old slow glow system. The thing is the wait time will be longer on your momentary toggle with either, maybe 10-15 seconds under normal conditions and 25 seconds or longer when it's really cold. But I doubt you could burn one out, unless maybe if you left them on all afternoon. Even then...its a definite maybe.

I've got the CD glowplugs. I believe I was the first one to get them, and I still have the original set that have been in my truck for over 5 years now. The guy that was selling them is only about 30 miles from me.(DAS), but, I seem to remember hearing not too long ago that they were not still available.

In his shop, he had a display set, which he would switch on for demo purposes, and once I was there for 3 hours, and that glow plug was left on the whole time glowing cherry red, and all it did was kill the battery!!

On my truck, I only have to give them about 6 seconds on a day when the temp is anything over 50 degrees for the first start, and then don't even use the plugs again all day if the temp is showing on the gauge, and if it is lower than that, I give them 10 seconds on the button and she fires up first piston to the top!! I've had it out in 20 below, and it turns over a bit slow, but still fires right on up with about 10 seconds on the plugs.

I've pulled them a couple times, and they looked just like the day they went in there....

My newer truck ('93) has the 7.3 system on the 6.9 I put in there, and it seems to start just fine, but I'd sure be reluctant to part with the CD plugs if I ever get rid of the '86. I believe you can't use the CD plugs with the newer 7.3 controller though, so I might have to go with a pushbutton again...

They are definately AC delco plugs, for what application I have no idea. I got a number off them once, and called AC delco, and went to several parts places, but none could give me an application for these plugs, and DAS kept their supplier a closely guarded secret.

....Things that make you say Hmmmm.....

Zigg :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't really want self regulating on a push button system, you really do want this with a controller. AC still makes the 12G, NAPA says they have them, don't know how expensive they are. You want to stay away from most of those other plugs, they are some sort of 6V plugs. Apparently people didnt have teh patience for the slow glow and they were replaced with the fast glow system similar to 6.9. The 6.5s eventually had PTC plugs. If I had it to do again, I think I would have bought the 6.5 PTC plugs to use with my solid state controller so as not to mangle my harness.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Positive temp coefficient. Resistance increases as temp increases.
81 or 82 I believe is the first year for the fast burn system in 350 diesels. My 80 didn't have it, my bonneville does but it may have been changed. They made key changes in each of the first few years.
James

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.5 glows are a no go, I poked around through the champion catalog looking at the various 12V plugs, and a couple of the 12V 6.2/6.5 app glow plugs are well over 100W, I think the ones I ended up ordering to test fit(got a couple different ones) were 130W, they were the right size and thread pattern, but, the tapered seat doesn't come close to making it far enough down to seal the cylinder.
Somewhere around here I have some of the 12V 50W slow glow plugs that fit like a glove, I'll dig one up and get a part # for it, IIRC, they were for a very very early 5.7 diesel app, 79 maybe...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle