coolant hose routing problem

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my diesel filter is mounted on the frame rail (because i have a different filter in it's place for wvo) and i need to add some heat to it for cold weather. So i Tee'd off the coolant hose running to the heater core and ran hose to the filter with soft copper wrapped around the filter; then for the return it Tee's back into the exit hose from the heater core that goes to the water pump.
I did this exact same thing a long time ago on my 6.2 van with no problems.

This time, however, the coolant is not flowing the full length of the hose. The hoses get hot a few feet away from where i Tee'd off but down at the filter it is still totally cold. I did take in a short drive on the highway just to make sure it was up to temp & full rpm's and that did not affect it.
Just before it took it for drive i even disconnected one of the hoses just to see if coolant would come out and it did not. I was thinking maybe that would help bleed the air out but there was no pressure at all when i put my hand over that hose.

Do i just need to put some more effort into bleeding the air or is there something different about the cooling system on these trucks than on the 6.2 where i did this with ease?

i know i could also just run one continuous loop from the heater core to the filter and then to the water pump - but now it is cold out and i don't have the hardware on hand to do it and my fingers are still a little numb...so if possible i would like to make the current set up work. Does anyone know if that is possible?
thanks,
Paul

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
it should be possible and it sounds like you just have an air bubble that you need to work out. try pinching the hose you tee'd into forcing coolant through the new section

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it should be possible and it sounds like you just have an air bubble that you need to work out. try pinching the hose you tee'd into forcing coolant through the new section

thanks! good idea - i disconnected the hose again at one of the T's and pinched the hose near the other one and coolant came out quickly, then the filter started warming up. Hopefully this will be the end of the fuel gelling problems.
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online