Coolant Flush!!

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tomorrow morning I will be tackling my coolant flush and adding fleet charge anti freeze a new motorcraft thermostat new heater hose and new upper and lower hoses. I know there is a ton of ways out there to do it. I found this example http://dieselhub.com/maintenance/idi-coolant-flush.html and it seems pretty thorough.... My question is do you need to drain the 2 holes on the side of the block? Or is the method described in that link sufficient? Thought?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yes, you will get about a gallon out of each side, so defiantly pull them. Don't use cheep autozone draincocks if you decide to put them in instead of the plugs. Go to a marine store and buy some quality ones. I had cheepo's and one the handle just spun after fist time I tightened it and the other started to drip after a year.

Runningaford

Reaction score
If the truck has been sitting for a while, and you're not entirely sure of it's history, it's not a bad time to pull the radiator, and have a shop rod it out; shouldn't be more than around $100, to $140 bucks. When I did mine, it was about 1/3 clogged up with crud. Motorcraft makes a cleaner that'll eat up any hard deposits, but it's somewhat corrosive so you don't want to leave it in for all that long.

Regarding the plugs, I agree with those above, pull both of them, as there's quite a bit of fluid left on each side of the block. You may want to look at adding a coolant filter that adds SCA's.... That's on my long list of 'to do nexts', but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online