coolant filter seems like a pita.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Fwiw I thoroughly flushed the cooling system and installed a coolant filter four or five years ago. I've replaced the filter three times so far and they always have some debris/sediment inside. Granted it seems to be less and less each time but it's still picking it up.

FWIW I installed a coolant filter bypass style without any ball valves. It just seemed like too much clutter. With the system cold and the filter up high in the engine bay I doubt you would loose a bunch of coolant if you removed the filter to change.

Same here. Coolant loss while changing it has been a minimal. I've since spaced the bracket out a bit so it's a little easier to get to the fuel filter.

You must be registered for see images attach

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to see what things are likely justified take a look as heavy duty/industrial/marine type engines - most of them have coolant filters and bypass oil filters since they're high cost and high use engines. If it didn't have benefits they wouldn't use them. Whether it's really justified on an idi is a personal question.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my coolant filter down on the frame rail. My thoughts were any heavy particles would settle down there anyway. Seems like a good collection point. I put valves on the housing so I can just shut the water off on both sides to change it.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent more time thinking about how much a pita it was to install it than the 30 minutes total I spent doing it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my coolant filter down on the frame rail. My thoughts were any heavy particles would settle down there anyway. Seems like a good collection point. I put valves on the housing so I can just shut the water off on both sides to change it.

Exactly how I did mine, with one difference.

I returned my filter into the bottom of the radiator. The auto trans trucks have the heater hose tee'd into a restricted fitting in the bottom tank. My coolant filter is tee'd into the heater line coming out of the head, then returns into the same fitting. The coolant filter has a similar restriction port to slow down the coolant, so I haven't had any problems with overheating.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Passenger side frame rail, just behind the front cab mount. Outside the rail for me. I also mounted mine horizontally oriented so it wouldn't hang below the frame rail.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. So it won't drain the system when you change the filter. I will post some pics tomorrow when it gets light out again.