Coolant filter questions?

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
The coolant filter seems pretty straight forward, but the preloaded SCA thing doesn't make sense. I'm running some truck stop red coolant with SCA's already in it so is it over kill. I did it because the filter head was laying around, thought why not filter my coolant and bypass the heater for the summer.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I do but I'm tired of worrying about always having red coolant on hand or else the mix is thrown off. Will the coolant filter keep the mix correct even though I for instance run low on coolant and put water in it if I don't have the proper stuff on hand. That is the question that I want answered the most.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do but I'm tired of worrying about always having red coolant on hand or else the mix is thrown off. Will the coolant filter keep the mix correct even though I for instance run low on coolant and put water in it if I don't have the proper stuff on hand. That is the question that I want answered the most.
In short, no.

The longer version is, the filter doesn't self-regulate...it isn't able to detect how much SCA's present and either release SCA into the coolant or not, depending on what's needed. It's constantly releasing a certain amount of SCA, regardless of how much or how little is already in the system.

Furthermore, having too much SCA can be as bad as not having enough...it will protect the engine from cavitation even better, but it'll also start acting like Bar's Stop-Leak and start plugging passageways (such as radiator tubes) and/or start coating to much around the cylinder walls, resulting in less heat being transferred from the cylinder to the cooling system i.e. an engine that's "running at operating temperature" but is actually overheating.

If you're running red truck stop coolant (i.e. ELC), I would suggest sticking with it, keeping a couple of extra gallons onhand, and running a Napa 4070 SCA-free coolant filter.

Hope this helps some...good luck :)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
If you're running red truck stop coolant (i.e. ELC), I would suggest sticking with it, keeping a couple of extra gallons onhand, and running a Napa 4070 SCA-free coolant filter.

Hope this helps some...good luck :)
Thars what I'm doing to a T! My trucks been on the red for a few k miles too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat