coolant filter question

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is well! I did my Coolant filter I want to see there are so many was I see guys plumbing these it's tiresome. I was going to plumb both lines in the filter but my threads are to big I got from the store. So I guess I'll just plumb one line in and was wondering which line the one that goes to the head or water pump? And what side should go to the inlet and outlet side? Any help would be great thanks in advance!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
The coolant filter is used in a bypass mode- parallel to the return hose. Use two Tee's on the return side hose, the filter gets plumbed in between the two Tee's. The filter head should show an IN and an OUT flow arrow or text, the IN side connects to the Tee closest to the firewall.. ;Sweet

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
these might help

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need all the plumbing.simply out of block,directly into the IN port,out of the OUT port,into the heater core and done.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Real simple inline with heater core. If heat gets weak, change filter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real simple inline with heater core. If heat gets weak, change filter.

Nice setup....now fix yer main battery lead to starter lol
The rest looks Boss btw

Would it not be better on return line though?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Gotta get dirty to fix that one. :dunno It's on the list though, need to pick up some 3/0 wire.

This truck has been through three heater cores. One original FoMoCo brass and two cheapo Spectra aluminum cores. I can change heater cores really fast now, but when I can't get a free replacement anymore I'll spend the big bucks for an OE Ford brass core. I plumbed it inline on the feed side hoping the restrictor hole in the filter would lower pressure or surges to the core and let it live a little longer. The heater core 5/8" nipple on the pass head on these engines has a restrictor in it, guessing failed heater cores is why? Anyhow it's a rubber restrictor, like a rubber disc with a small hole or a thick oring that sits in a groove in the nipple. They deteriorate and fall apart, mine probably is but have not pulled it to check since I don't know what I'd replace it with.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo here is a question guys I notice that my lines are opposite of this routing. Looking at the truck the far right hose goes to my water pump and the left outlet goes to my block?? This shows opposite of what someone did on mine? Would this explain why my truck always blows hot air or is it maybe right?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just not sure to switch it or leave it or if it makes a difference odd?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know....heater core doesnt know in or out....

In Out is based on flow from head to core then bqck to wp....

Blows hot cause blend door not functioning is my best guess