coolant diagram

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i read that somewhere, i thought it sounded screwy, thanks alot. what is teh part # for that valve or what do i tell the dealer i need?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said...as I understand it, the coolant needs to loop back.

And, I have to ask...why'd you spend $60 on the manual valve setup? The vacuum-operated bypass is only about $20 at the dealer, and at least on my truck, it works VERY well...the heater hoses beyond the bypass valve are nice and cool, and I don't have to go under the hood to switch the valves when I do want heat..

I didnt think that far ahead, I was leaving on a trip and needed to get it done.
As for the dealer, I have never been able to spend just $20 dollars at a dealer! Everything I go to a dealer for, seems to break the bank.
I am pissed now that I know I could have done it cheaper and had a less ghetto looking setup!
Anyone out there need some brass valves?:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea i read that somewhere, i thought it sounded screwy, thanks alot. what is teh part # for that valve or what do i tell the dealer i need?
I THINK it's Ford part number F87Z18495AA, and they just called it a valve. Tell the parts counter guy that it's for a '96 Ranger, and it should look like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

If I'm looking at the right receipt, it cost $22.16 in 2006. I would recommend getting the actual Ford valve; I tried one from Napa first and it has a constant leak, and the price was about the same.

I didnt think that far ahead, I was leaving on a trip and needed to get it done.
As for the dealer, I have never been able to spend just $20 dollars at a dealer! Everything I go to a dealer for, seems to break the bank.
I am pissed now that I know I could have done it cheaper and had a less ghetto looking setup!
Anyone out there need some brass valves?:D
Here's a thought for the brass valves...you could install a coolant filter, and use the valves to cut off coolant flow to the filter for servicing it. The filter head won't cost you that much extra, and your cooling system will thank you for it.

Just a thought :) BTW this is what my setup looks like right now, with the heater core bypass and the coolant filter head installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the valve from auto zone, $17.99 plus tax. i also found that the vacuum line going to the recirc/vent had been cut by the p/o and the white vacuum line that feeds it was stubbed up in the loom. i fixed that and tee'd in the valve and man does my a/c blow cold on max now. i switched to norm both valves actuate perfectly. it is cooling of here in fla now but at least next summer ill be ready!

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was a heater valve for a 96 ford ranger 3.0l v6 fyi. i dont know if its the same part for the 2.3's or the 4.0's? but thats the one i got and it works great.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last one I bought was for a 99' Ranger with a 4.0, and yes they never changed them.