Coolant Change

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its time for a coolant change. Im gonna go to the Cummins blend. Who has used it and what do you think?

BigSix

Reaction score
Not to come across as too lame but, the CPL in our Dodge wrapped Cummins is such that the seals and gaskets are made of materials compatable with ordinary ethyline glycol (sp?) antifreeze. Unless you simply want the Cummins stuff, it's not necessary. Prestone will do the job just as well.
My '03 is different. It has some kind of long life antifreeze. Haven't even sniffed it yet.

Whit

Reaction score
I was planning to change out my coolent soon and was also looking at the Cummins blend , one big reason is that it is available to me here in town and if I aint mistaken it is already blended 50/50, I was planning on using distilled water for the flush because our water is not good.

Cheers, Kevin

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it sitting in the shop right now. It is a blend so you don't have to add any water.

me4osu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped to the Rotella ELC (extended life coolant) before the Cummins stuff came out. It was only $7.50 / gal premixed. It said it was good for 600,000 mi with and extender added at 300,000 mi. Plus, it has a nice tropical punch kool-aid color, and I don't have to drive to the crappy side of Houston to get it.

DieselDood78

Reaction score
I'm running Mercedes-Benz clear coolant.....It looks like water. Kinda funny...the one time I was on the road and HAD to get my oil changed....I brought my own filter...and oil....just didn't have the tools or drain bucket with....The kid that was changing my oil..checking fluids....Walks into the waiting room and says "Sir we recommend chainging your coolant immediately, it's all water. I said "Did you check it with a hydrometer?" His reply was "It's water, there's no need to check it like that" I said, "Taste it, and check it with a Hydrometer and let me know what you find out." He walks back in 10 min later and asks "How can you make water good to -37?" I said, "it's not water...it's anti-freeze."

DD