converter slipping

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what can i do about the slipping torque convertor. i have read about installing a manual switch to lock it but i'm not sure i want to have to switch it every time i stop. are there other options? TC slips under light or heavy throttle. it is a Ford unit with around 30k on it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your only real option is to put a new TC in, dont go with the stock 4R100 again.

If its slipping its weak and there isnt a way to make a weak TC strong again. Its gone. Do the TC before it grenades and wipes out the rest of the tranny with the schrapnel. I know thats not what you want to hear but that's the facts Jack.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as stroker said,replace it NOW!!!!!!!!! or you will have a mess---

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
perhaps i should clarify. it slips as it engages. there has been a noticable increase in how long it slips as it engages in the past year it's been in the truck. it does lock up after a second or 2 or maybe 3 and once it's locked it stays locked as far as i can tell, until i slow down and it unlocks. is this normal? seems like it should take less than a second to to lock firmly and completely.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a tranny temp gauge? If so is it running hotter than normal? A slipping converter builds heat fast and as has been mentioned, once it starts to slip there is no way to fix it. Sooner or later its going to scatter.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I wouldnt say its actually slipping, just the ineficiency of a stock convertor, they have way more slip than a suncoast. and stop and go and under 35 keeps it from locking. me and russ both battle that with our autos and 3.55 gears.
even when I had my 00 I plain out hated the TC and trans, even had Bill try writing different lock up and shift stratagies. never did get a good all around one.
then I put the Suncoast in and the transgo kit and that made a world of difference, pu 50k more hard miles on the truck with no trans problems.other than an o ring going bad in the Tc.

But anyhow to answer the question, yes ya can put a lockup switch in, or even get an autolockup from a few companys.
the downside to locking at low mph is it will shift hard if your on it, and if ya allow the engine to lug it will stall, or use more fuel, and ya must remeber to shut off when ya stop. also if ya have the Tc locked and its pulling to hard ya can actually slip the tc when its locked and that is bad.

30k its due for a fluid change also, try merc V and that may also help,

other possibility is the trans is on its way, 150k on an original.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i think gauges are next in line before new TC or anything. Summit has autometer setup with the pillar pod and 3 gauges for around 300. i'm tapped out right now but maybe in a couple months.

Mercon V you say?

Nick when you had it apart you mentioned it looked clean enough inside it might not be original. whether it is or not either way it seems to work OK except for sluggish lockup of the TC.

i guess i'll just keep an eye on it. is there an article somewhere on trans fluid change? i've done a few but reference is always good.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I personally dont like autometer guages, compared to isspro and dipricol they look generic. LMK when you are ready, and I can hook ya up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Staff online