Considering purchasing an IDI

zec323

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a truck over the summer, and after doing some research, I think an IDI may be for me. If I do buy one, it would be my first diesel, and it will primarily be used to tow my brothers Jeep and camping over the summer after class ends. I know that I can buy a gas powered truck, but I have been wanting to get into diesel for a while, plus the added efficiency when towing will be nice. I have done some in depth work on gas engines(most was rebuilding the top of a 302), but have no diesel experience. What are the weak points mechanically I should look for? Does the turbo effect reliability? I have seen a few 1990-1992 IDI's with turbos that were added on by the owner, what should I be looking for when inspecting an aftermarket turbo?
Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks aren't powerful stock, but can handle quite a bit. They run quite a long time, aren't hard to work on, and parts are *much* cheaper compared to a newer diesel.
Make sure to get one with a 5-speed manual; the E4(uh-oh)D automatic is more of a pain to deal with. Yes, they do work OK, and yes, you can bulletproof them, but you will lose a little efficiency and the chances of an E4OD crapping out vs a 5-speed is a *lot* higher.

Turbo wise, basically make sure it spins freely. You don't want much end-play on the shaft; a little sideplay is OK as long as the compressor wheel isn't touching the housing - Once you get oil pressure, that play goes away.

A lot of common issues on this truck are fuel or glow plug related - Hard starting, won't start when hot, smoking(black, blue or white), low power, surging, dying at 1/4 tank etc.
These are issues that I look for because they aren't hard to fix, but you can get the truck cheaper.

As far as turbo affecting reliability, I don't see any issues at the low power levels the stock turbo can make. There are multiple people around here who have been running turbo-added rigs for the last 25 years with no issues.

You can start having issues once you add a bigger than stock* turbo, and start going for 250+ RWHP numbers(which would be in the high 300-400's at the crank, compared to a NA motor making 180 at the crank and 120 at the wheels).
(*Note: I'm considering 'stock' to be anything that Banks, Hypermax or ATS put out in kit form)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please bring a truck here that you are looking at before you purchase it. that way we can explain what you might be missing. Very little difference between the 6.9 or 7.3 power levels too. the turbo will not wear out the engine faster either. The big three turbo makers have been installing them on GM and Ford engines for many years with no issues. This forum ahs determined adding a set of head studs is good insurance to not be blowing heads gaskets after a turbo addition. Most turbos only add 9 lbs of boost but.. they can be increased to around 15 lbs if tweaked some. A ZF 5 speed trans is a nice way to go but depending on tow weight you may want to use the 4.10 gear. 3.55 gears are not towing gears. Personally I feel the 3.73 gears are the best idea. they are not to high and not too low.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest reading as much you can in these forums to get an idea of what to expect from an IDI. People's experiences do vary so it is best to try and get an average of experiences before drawing any conclusions. Personally I would try to get one with a good turbo already on it as it seems a bit more expensive to add it yourself, but we all have different financial situations.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the IDI leap in 2005 and never looked back. I had 0 diesel experience at the time ... like you, I had done a little work with gassers / learned to make them run hard and break.
These days I only have one gasser in the drive ... and that was an accident ... sorta' tripped over it and drug it home.
These trucks are hard to break if you drive like a grown person (harder than it sounds sometimes).
Give it a run!