Considering installing the larger rear fuel tank in my Powerstroke without bed removal

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I dropped my rear fuel tank today. Other than not having the correct fuel disconnect tool and that area being a little cramped, it went pretty ok. Now that it's out, I am starting to really think about the larger 38 gallon tank, and so ensues the questions associated with this consideration.

A couple of details and of course some questions:

• My truck is a 1995 2WD crew cab dually
  • I pulled the old tank with the bed in place and I would be installing the new tank the same way. I just don't have the space to pull the bed off. Don't ask, it's not an option. Anybody done this install with the bed in place?
  • The fuel lines were pretty tight, and tipping the rear of the tank down gave me pretty good access, but I'm questioning how tight this is going to be if installing the larger rear tank.
  • I am assuming that I'll be using a Spectre F26D or F26E tank as that appears to be the tank of choice from most of what I've read. Any input on the best place to buy one would be appreciated.
  • I have straps, they are in good shape and I'm not afraid to reuse them with the longer bolts, but I have also seen some installs using the factory 4x4 skid plate. My truck is 2WD so it didn't come with a skid plate, but I'm not opposed to acquiring one, and in some respects I think some extra protection with the bed hanging lower sounds somewhat appealing. I have heard that the corner of the skid plate will need to be trimmed to clear the exhaust hangar, and I'm totally fine with that.
  • Lastly: I know I'm probably going to lose my spare tire, but I have seen several folks extend the factory bolts with some all thread and the spare tire didn't look all that low. I don't off road this truck and I can only say that although I've never gotten a flat with a 4 ply or better tire on any truck I've owned, I'll most likely try to keep the spare. If I find that I can't live with the clearance, I could just remove it.
I don't think I need any help extending the fuel pickups or making a new rod for the float, but as always I'm all ears for the questions above or anything else. I'm not in a terrible hurry as I've covered up the hose ends and zip tied them up so the truck is still operable on the front tank. I'm going to take advantage of all the space under the back with the fuel tank out and clean up/paint/undercoat everything I can get to in the back as I've got a little time right now.

Thanks, be safe and have a great Easter weekend.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll loose the spare tire mounting. Do you do a lot of driving where you need the extra capacity? For me on the highway with 32 gallons between both stock tanks I can get close to 600 miles before refueling.