Compounds - A due diligence quest

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Yes sorry, on my phone and it tends to think for me, but yes after looking up a few thingsi t seems the hy35 is a good match for our trucks for low end boost and is capable of 20psi?!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so wats the other turbo then? are you doing true compounds or the ricer thing?
but a modded hx40 and something around stock has decent numbers from what ive figured and may be a good start

wmoguy

Reaction score
ok so wats the other turbo then? are you doing true compounds or the ricer thing?
but a modded hx40 and something around stock has decent numbers from what ive figured and may be a good start

I haven't stated anywhere for certain either turbo I'll be using in my compound setup. As stated, I have a total of 6 turbos, all new, here and we are making mockups of how they will physically fit in the location I'm using, how the piping will look, etc... It'll be a compound setup just like the thread stated.

If you think an HX40 and a Stock turbo is a good fit, post up your maps with an explanation how you came up with what you figured..

BTW, I'm curious, when are you whipping out the die grinder and going to town on those heads and building your turbo system?????

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't stated anywhere for certain either turbo I'll be using in my compound setup. As stated, I have a total of 6 turbos, all new, here and we are making mockups of how they will physically fit in the location I'm using, how the piping will look, etc... It'll be a compound setup just like the thread stated.

If you think an HX40 and a Stock turbo is a good fit, post up your maps with an explanation how you came up with what you figured..

BTW, I'm curious, when are you whipping out the die grinder and going to town on those heads and building your turbo system?????

As for fitment, you could keep one turbo close to the stock location and run the other on the passenger side of the engine. I have seen a lot of D-max guys do it like that and I've even seen it a few Psd trucks with compounds set up like that. Plus it would be pretty easy to fit.

wmoguy

Reaction score
As for fitment, you could keep one turbo close to the stock location and run the other on the passenger side of the engine. I have seen a lot of D-max guys do it like that and I've even seen it a few Psd trucks with compounds set up like that. Plus it would be pretty easy to fit.

thx 88. part of my desire to remote mount them is to clean up space above the engine itself. I don't much care for how something as trivial as changing a Glowplug means removing the turbo.
That said, do you have any good pics of what your referring too? The only PSD I've seen twin'd in person, had a turbo off each bank.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I saw it in a Diesel Power magazine a while back. I look tonight when I get home tonight and take a pic for you.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Someone should make a intake manifold for these. That would clear up a lot of room.....

(think 7.3psd)

Black dawg

Reaction score
thx 88. part of my desire to remote mount them is to clean up space above the engine itself. I don't much care for how something as trivial as changing a Glowplug means removing the turbo.
That said, do you have any good pics of what your referring too? The only PSD I've seen twin'd in person, had a turbo off each bank.

you dont need to pull your turbo to change those two plugs, just need a cool socket. Just did one half hour ago.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found maps online but ill look some up then we i get bored
also the turbo system is almost done need an air filter and oil lines and shell be on
yesterday i got a 89 civic to drive so i can have the truck down as needed for work
so the plan is once we get my buddies new jeep ready for plowing
new cam
advance timing
turbo
3 inch dp
5 inch stack
then to find a motor to fully build

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found maps online but ill look some up then we i get bored
also the turbo system is almost done need an air filter and oil lines and shell be on
yesterday i got a 89 civic to drive so i can have the truck down as needed for work
so the plan is once we get my buddies new jeep ready for plowing
new cam
advance timing
turbo
3 inch dp
5 inch stack
then to find a motor to fully build
You going to update your build thread then?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go this is kind of what I had in mind but the side turbo would be lil bit more forward by the alternator. The intercooler tube would go around the other side. I'm trying to find a better pic.

Attachments

• downsized_0419081601.jpg
    downsized_0419081601.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 26

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This first pic with the Turbonetics turbos is exactly what I was thinking. The second pic from Empire Diesel is also cool.

Attachments

• socapsmeet2809187.jpg
    socapsmeet2809187.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 37
  • Powerstroke_7.3__494c3454bec85.jpg
    Powerstroke_7.3__494c3454bec85.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 33

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wmoguy, are those pictures of those compound setups similar to what you were thinking? Those are what I was talking about...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online