Compounds - A due diligence quest

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a technicality don't you get over 100 percent VE with any turbo. Cus aren't VE standards based on NA engines?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Essentially when you push 14.7psi into an engine, you double the VE by pushing double atmosheric pressure into the engine. I remember reading that.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's this coming? Have you decided what turbos your going to be running or are you not ready to reveal that yet?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He did tell me that he hoped to have a write-up by the first of the year, but I'm not sure what all is going on for sure.

wmoguy

Reaction score
It's progressing, albeit a little slower than I had planned. Work, holidays, etc... Adding to the time schedule. If no more curveballs come up the ATS turbo comes off new years weekend and the new setup goes on.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look forward to it man. Can't wait for some pics. I wouldn't even mind seeing some pics while you are in the process of building it too. :sly

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I'm way pleased with the 60 series wheel upgrade on my ATS turbo; I'm left wanting more. The 2k+ rpm spoolup and boost levels IMO are more than sufficient, however I want boost below 2k, at my altitudes and driving thru the canyons it's a major plus.

Anwho, this isn't a bench racing thread, I'm fully prepared to do this over the holidays when I have the time to take the truck off the road. For simplicity sakes I believe I'll move my batteries to the bed mounted tool box, which will leave the passenger side with a nice open spot for two shiny turbos and the driver side a big fat air/water intercooler. A little plumbing work will be necessarily to feed the chargers hot gases and then expel them, but I don't think it will be too bad. The thought of not having to mess with turbos, air boxes, and other junk on the top of the motor is VERY appealing

My question is turbo selection. I'm a little partial to Holset turbos, mainly because they are very interchangeable and pretty inexpensive. I can get my hands on a HY35 pretty easily and think it would make a nice small turbo and get me that low end spool I really want. For the big charger I'm wondering about a hx50 which I can also get fairly reasonably priced. For the fuel I am pushing it almost seems to big, I keep thinking about an hx40 for my bigger turbo. The 40 really only moves about the same CFMs as our stock turbos, but it appears to be way more efficient in the sub 25psi range.

In summary, the goal is more low end boost, and good towing twins. I'm not interested in pushing tons of boost at high RPMs or a supercharger/turbo combo. I'm interested in efficiency in the realistic power band of this motor. I don't intend to lower my compression, studs I will go back in for. So I'm guessing I need to keep my boost #'s below mid 20's to be conservative.

Thoughts? I'd be most appreciative to hear from those with turbo matching experience. I feel a little green when it comes to picking the right maps for this application. PLEASE, lets not make this another bench racing thread folks. If you have some real world experience you can share I really want to hear it, if your experience involves what you read on the internet or what "your buddy says" please be kind and refrain. (sorry to have to be so blunt there guys)

Wmo.. i am looking into the same thing right now. Im looking at holsets for the same reasons. Ive been thinking hx35 / hx52, or, as you said, hy35 / hx50. My concern is keeping the boost in check while still staying in the sweet spot for the chargers. I cant find many holset maps, but the ones i find tell me im right on track. However, in a compound setup, i cant figure out how the turbos will react, and therefor cant decide on how to proceed. Here is a link to my thread http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120243 if you are interested, i had some more tasty info to link, but my computer did a ninja restart and lost 6 tabs worth of info. Going to finish checkin out your thread.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone should make a intake manifold for these. That would clear up a lot of room.....

(think 7.3psd)

you read my mind. This is also something i am thinking about. Not from scratch if i can help it. If there is one tool i dont have access to, its a tig welder. Think something similar to the detroit 6.2 intake.

wmoguy

Reaction score
@ Hairy: Yea Ive got the HX35 and HX50 for my compound combo. I had a helluva time finding maps for Holset turbos, the ones I did find looked homegrown so I don't know how much stock to put into them. On my other computer I have a bunch of links saved to all my research, I hope to get it to come back to life. Naturally it decided it no longer wants to turn on (laptop power supply crapped out) :mad:

Since this thread had some rekindled interest I decided I best come clean with my project. I just feel akward having peeps think I'm doing one thing, when in reality its going a different direction right now. The twins are kind of sitting on the sidelines right now. My buddy who is the uber good welder (I am not good enough for this type of work) his TIG crapped out on him, and he just got a new job so time is really short for him to help me finish this all up. Between his time constraints and all the time constraints I've got I've lost interest in really getting this completed. I figured maybe all the road blocks were a sign that nows not the time to bolt this project on.

HOWEVER, I have been working on a possibly more simplified solution to my desire for low end boost. I bought an HE351VE a few weeks back on FLEABAY that is darn near brand new off a new dodge. I've built a homegrown actuator to control the vanes using a wastegate actuator arm. I'll load some pics later, I'm headed over to my buddies house now to work on it all a little more. We have to remote mount the turbo because the exhaust housing on this thing is MASSIVE and it's just too tight under the hood to effectively do it. Truthfully I have no idea if this all will work or not. It sounds somewhat plausible, the displacement motor these were designed for is not that far in size from ours, and I know alot of the 12v and 24v Cummins guys are using these turbos to support quick spooling 500rwhp trucks with great success. If it all works, and I can get good sub 2k rpm boost without EGT or drive pressure issues I'll likely ditch the compounds all together. If it doesn't work out I'll complete the original project. I figure I don't have a ton to lose by testing this one out.

I'll try and get a few pics up tonight, I'm headed over his house now to get a few things done on this project.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Few pics of the he351ve

This thing is huge, it's probably 2x the physical size of my ATS turbo and weighs a bunch.

Attachments

• 20111201_190223.jpg
    20111201_190223.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 13

wmoguy

Reaction score
Last one for the moment, photo bucket apparently is not my friend tonight. Will load photos of the vane actuator later.

Originally planned to shoehorn this thing under the hood and figured a lil International Red would brighten things up. No such luck, so under the bed will have a nice shiny red compressor housing

Attachments

• 20111204_171219.jpg
    20111204_171219.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online