Cold weather warm up times.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a thread in regards to powerstrokes and warmup times. The general consensus there was to let it warm up maybe a minute before driving away. Many people mentioned piston wash as to why you shouldn't idle for long periods.

How does this hold to our IDIs.

The cold weather being referred to in that thread was 20 F, but what about colder than that?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Getting below freezing is cold no matter what temp your refering to. Idling on the fast idle warm up for one minute is about all you really need. Listen to the engine. when it fires there is a sound it makes. As things warm up the sound of combustion changes. That happens for me in about 30 seconds. No matter the temps here. I fast idle for 1 or 2 minutes before I drive off. If you have an auto trans place it in drive or any gear really. That warms up the engine and trans faster and it wont hurt anything. I wont idle for 10 or 20 minutes. Thats ******* the engine because of low temps in the combustion areas and the result is blowby.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I believe the engine should be warmed up until it kicks down to normal idle speed. They make such a racket when they are on cold advanced and you start driving them that I just wont do it. I don't believe driving with them that far advanced can be good for them.
The problem with extended idle at hot idle speeds is the low oil psi. I know it wears the cams in the idi. I'm thinking of putting a manual switch on the cold idle advanced solenoid so if I want to hot idle hot for an extended period I can flip it on and increase rpm and oil psi

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 85 would fast idle for about 3 minutes when it was below freezing, I would let it idle down before I drove away, It seems that the engines I've had that I've idled long periods always smoked bad when you drove them away afterwards, Grog 85

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 6.0 and normally don't idle too long. I keep the block heater plugged in and warm. I it sits for a few minutes on high idle, it will warm the cabin to "chilly" and this is on single digit and lower F temps. We have been luck to see freezing the last couple of months. I have done an EGR delete and that took so much heat out of the engine, it takes a while for the engine to get to full operating temps, I have even been driving and stop to run in to the gas station and it will kick back up on high idle itself sitting there for a couple minutes. Also, at normal idle, any diesel will cool down. I can feel the amount of heat coming from the heater change and watch the temp gauge lower when sitting waiting on the kids at school........

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I start my truck, let it run for 20 seconds or so to build idle pressure, then bring the rpms up and keep it there until the high idle kicks off. Good or bad? I had read that's good to do, then drive

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idling a cold diesel is worse than getting in and driving. I get in and go. Dont gas on it for a couple of miles.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I park in neutral, I have 75w90 synthetic in the trans, I run it at about 1k until I can shift reasonably

that pig is stiff at -20

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Them northerners had a great tip, when idling, put the tcase in neutral and the trans in gear. (Manual trans only)
Makes a huge difference in how my truck shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other side of the drive, do you allow any time before turning the engine off on an N/A or turbo engine? I was of the old-school thought (old oil performance) of waiting a few minutes before shutting off to allow the turbo to wind down but that was at a time before oil technology was where it is now.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
In Gear

Why can't you do this with an auto trans? Its doing the same thing. Spining the trans and xfer case. I have alway done this on manuals or autos in really cold weather. Well its warmed up today (34 derees), I better get off this computer and get outside and do some work on my truck. Snow is coming and it going to be -5 tomorrow.

Them northerners had a great tip, when idling, put the tcase in neutral and the trans in gear. (Manual trans only)
Makes a huge difference in how my truck shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I like my fast idle and timing advance on a manual switch. That way I turn off the timing advance when im ready to drive away (after 5 min warm up) and I also don't like the fast idle on for 5 mins like it would in stock form. Fuel is too pricey for that. And, I can activate fast idle even when the engine is hot if need be.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I like my fast idle and timing advance on a manual switch. That way I turn off the timing advance when im ready to drive away (after 5 min warm up) and I also don't like the fast idle on for 5 mins like it would in stock form. Fuel is too pricey for that. And, I can activate fast idle even when the engine is hot if need be.

Did you do a write up on it?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
fast idle on manual

Thats what I want to do also. Only thing is I would leave it do it by itself when cold and only energize the fast idle solonoid manually if I want to bring idle up when hot to bring up oil psi for extended hot idle periods. I don't know if you would want the ip advancing when hot. Maybee some other here can chime in on that aspect. You would need a diode in the hot wire to the fast idle solonoid to do this without activating the ip pump advance. Do any of you electronic guys out there know what size diode would be needed?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726