cold timing advance questions?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends what your current timing is set at.
But I think everyone agreed that it's a bad idea, at least for sure bad when timing is already set correctly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes its bad but some members will have the cold advance on a switch so when they pull a grade hauling a load they can set up the timing for more hp. I personally feel this is not a good thing for the engine. Too much advance can do harm to the bearings and pistons. If it was a good idea we would have it working on cold advance all the time as a factory thing.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Exactly. Do you have your timing advance on a manual switch to allow you to do such a thing?? I do. And the reason for it is because I like to shut if OFF earlier then it normaly would on a cold start. I will leave it on for about 20 seconds after start up and shut the advanve off.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i think my pump timing is retarded too far because it runs better when its cold then it does when its warm, it is also easier to start cold then warm. it will fire right up when its cold but it cranks for a long time before it starts when its warm, and it pours black smoke when it starts so i know its getting enough fuel. i have run a jumper wire from the fuel shut off to the cold timing advance and i have run it alittle bit but i havnt took it for a ride down the road yet. Another thing is my truck sounds totaly different then my dads 7.3 idi(we think his has like 70,000-80,000 on a rebuilt engine) his sounds quiet and smooth at idle(its straight pipe lol), mine is loud and dosent sound so smooth but runs smooth(if that makes any sence) any ideas? is it just how they act or is my pump bad or something??

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have my cold advance set to 900rpm when I cold start the truck in the mornings I push the accelarator to the floor to set the advance on high, then as I drive and the engine warms up it turns off.

Speedwrench72

Reaction score
two parts to the advance the advance unit is in the pump...the idle set up for warm up is in the frount. it just holds the trottle open some...Get her timed...some fellas have proven that advance is not that iportant to hp +or- 5* however it will afect how it starts...and sounds...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have my cold advance set to 900rpm when I cold start the truck in the mornings I push the accelarator to the floor to set the advance on high, then as I drive and the engine warms up it turns off.

Different thing. You're talking the cold high idle, he's talking the actual timing advance part.
Right? :dunno

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Different thing. You're talking the cold high idle, he's talking the actual timing advance part.
Right? :dunno

how does one actually go about adjusting the timing advance part and is this sometime that is only done in "stock" original form when its running on cold high idle?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To set the timing on the injection pump you have to turn the pump towards the passenger side fender to advance it. In other words twist the pump counter clockwise to advance. Its best done with a timing meter but it can be done by ear. Doing it by ear will not get it correct. Even the best here has only gotten it correct once and thats after timing hundreds of these engines at the ralleys..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You'll have to call around to different shops to see if they have the right equipment to time a idi.

Post up your location, may be a member near you that has the equipment.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is no way anyone would know if a garage near you can or will be able to time your engine. Here is what you need to ask.. Can you time my idi engine.. If the answer is yes ask them what method they use... The worsst is by ear... They just take your money and tell you its fine. The method used mostly here is the pulse timing method. The other method is the luminosity probe method. The lumi probe goes in the #1 glow plug hole. The pulse method has a magnetic probe on the crank dampner tab and a line clamp on the #1 injecter hard line. The pulse is much easier because all you do is clean the locations and do it.. Simple if you have the right timing meter...