Cold start white smoke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Weldertim. My bet is the rebuilt injectors are suspect. When an injector is "rebuilt".. Really nothing is repaired or replaced. Parts cost more than a new injector so how does a shop rebuilt them and sell for less than new and still make a profit... It would be great if a shop was to actually lap the nozzle to the pintle seat but they do not. they clean and pop test. But thats about it really. I personally will trust Mel or Russ for a rebuilt injector. The rest of the world can suck with their fake rebuilt injectors. This opinion has been developed from years of reading how so many have been ripped off by fake rebuilt injectors. I have opened up many a injector and pop tested and shimmed them. Its more work then most know.

weldertim

Reaction score
Well I finally figured it out. It was the cold timing advance on the IP. No power to either the throttle advance plunger or the cold timing advance (the spade closest to the cab). I connected a wire from the fuel shutoff spade (the one on the right side of the pump in front) to the cold advance and presto, no smoke smooth idle. Take the 12v away and smokes like crazy. Now I just have to figure out why there is no power to the plunger or the cold enrichment wires. Maybe one or both of the sensors is stuck in the warm position?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only one sensor. Easy enough to test - disconnect it and jumper the connector, and turn the key on. If the cold idle kicks, everything is good wrt. wiring and the sensor is the bogey. Alas, it's a PITA to reach with the thermostat housing in place. Part # is E8TZ-9E939-A , just north of $30 at AutoNation Ford.