cold idle problem and new truck question

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
OK so here's the thing, since August of last year I've put 21982.7 miles on my truck, 7000 of which has been in the last month. As I was leaving Cali headed back to the east coast truck started running really crappy, blowing black and blue smoke. I stopped changed the filter and added some howes meaner power cleaner to both tanks and filled up. Drove about 500 or so miles and stopped for the night. Went to start it in the morning, amb temp was about 41deg, wits light went of after about 15sec then vroom, fired right up.... about two min of idleingit started shaking and smoking then died, fired right back up. Now once warm it runs like a ***** ape and gets good mileage with little smoke. It did and has been doing this since and I'm starting to get concerned because I have to leave for Alabama in a few weeks and don't have the time to deal with a major issue, however I am looking for input as to what could be causing this. Truck has 389767.1 miles on it, which brings me to my second thing...

I need a bigger truck to tow a new trailer and a new dog, as my single cab just can't handle it. I'm trying to find a late 80s early 90s with an idi 350 dually with a 5 speed and 8ft bed, not to picky on how pretty it is or how much rust as long as its not rotten, just needs to be in decient mech condition. Was going to buy one off a member here but haven't herd back from them, so the question is, does anyone know where I might be able to find one at a REASONABLE price... I say that cause the folks here in west virginia are high when it comes to auto prices... any info would be helpful and appriciated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The years your looking for will all come with a long bed at 8 ft.. I'm not sure why people seem to list these trucks with a long bed. they did not come with a short bed. The list of what you want sounds like a great tow rig too. A ZF 5 speed crewcab dually is my favorite rig. Add a gv to that and your golden... I find it tuff to drive longer than about one tank of fuel thru my engine these days.. Gotta stop to ***...:angel: I drink way too much diet Dr Pepper on the road..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds "almost" like air intrusion.

You could probably snatch a truck up here in Oklahoma for a decent price. Usually minimal rust around here also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No rust in the Cali trucks. I know you can find rusty trucks here but its not a common issue. Towcat has a truck for sale in Texas. Its a single cab and I think its a 4x4.. Might want to pm him if interested..

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
No rust in the Cali trucks. I know you can find rusty trucks here but its not a common issue. Towcat has a truck for sale in Texas. Its a single cab and I think its a 4x4.. Might want to pm him if interested..

I have a single cab now, and with the new addition of another dog (which my wife is still threatening to kill me over), I need something with more cab space cause me, my wife, and two 100lb German shepherds don't really fit well in a single cab truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online