Clutch options

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said man, I looked in to them and couldn't find a 10.25 specific so I really didn't want to mess with it. The opinion stating that a crush sleeve would work fine was from Randys ring and pinion, not me. Also, you stated your running 38s with a turbo. I'm naturally aspirated on smaller yet wider than stock 245/75/16. Also 2wd so no multiplier from a t case. I'm not saying you're wrong, or that a crush sleeve cant fail, or that I'd rather have a crush sleeve over a solid spacer, just repeating what Randys ring and pinion said and pointing out that there's less stress on my drive train than yours. If you found a 10.25 specific solid spacer, I would love a link and would buy one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess you missed the 2wd zf part eh that that carrier came out of? It was a parts truck to me.

I will be running 38's however I do not plan on PULLING with my truck as you have said you did with yours and smoked your clutch...so what happens when you regear the clutch holds and you sled pull....

The 9" CSEK is fine it fits perfect other than having to do a small radius on inside edge to fit the radius of the pinion. I took mine to a buddies borrowed his lathe and with a small dremel was able to make a nice radius tailored to the pinion. You can do it by hand just fine I just have access to stuff...

Just sayin...

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you missed the 2wd zf part eh that that carrier came out of? It was a parts truck to me.

I will be running 38's however I do not plan on PULLING with my truck as you have said you did with yours and smoked your clutch...so what happens when you regear the clutch holds and you sled pull....

The 9" CSEK is fine it fits perfect other than having to do a small radius on inside edge to fit the radius of the pinion. I took mine to a buddies borrowed his lathe and with a small dremel was able to make a nice radius tailored to the pinion. You can do it by hand just fine I just have access to stuff...

Just sayin...

Oh, I thought that was out of your truck. But for the pulling, I still daily drive the truck on that same clutch. I stopped so I wouldn't break anything. I just want to say I moved the sled 100ft, just once lol. It's never going to be a trailer queen pulling truck. I've got a 9" csek laying around somewhere from the project I never put in my 78 Camaro. I'll try to dig it out and take a look. How much different is setting the pinion preload with it rather than a crush sleeve?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I thought that was out of your truck. But for the pulling, I still daily drive the truck on that same clutch. I stopped so I wouldn't break anything. I just want to say I moved the sled 100ft, just once lol. It's never going to be a trailer queen pulling truck. I've got a 9" csek laying around somewhere from the project I never put in my 78 Camaro. I'll try to dig it out and take a look. How much different is setting the pinion preload with it rather than a crush sleeve?

In all honesty....probably a hella lot easier with CSEK than w crush sleeve...u did keep old crush sleeve.

I bougjt one of the puller/instalation tools from here

http://www.ratechmfg.com/Yoke tools.htm

They sell a good CSEK and instructions are available online too IIRC....

Check it out....need same tools as crush sleeve but way less force to do same job!

Dialing in preload is based on new or used bearings and so forth...and shim stack etc....

Good luck with it either way you go.

Offered my best thouhhts and advice...yers to run how ya choose.

JM7.3CW Eh!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty....probably a hella lot easier with CSEK than w crush sleeve...u did keep old crush sleeve.

I bougjt one of the puller/instalation tools from here

http://www.ratechmfg.com/Yoke tools.htm

They sell a good CSEK and instructions are available online too IIRC....

Check it out....need same tools as crush sleeve but way less force to do same job!

Dialing in preload is based on new or used bearings and so forth...and shim stack etc....

Good luck with it either way you go.

Offered my best thouhhts and advice...yers to run how ya choose.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Thanks for all the help and advice. Price of that tool isn't listed on that link but I'd like one.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spacer on everybody's kit needs a light cut. It may never be an issue but why take a chance.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally dug out the 9" solid spacer I had laying around and it slips right on the 3.55 long spline pinion. It measures 1.37 I.D. And the crush sleeve that came off measures 1.35. That loose fit ok?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is fine....but it likely wont set square to back face of pinion due to radius interference; thus the need for slight chamfer on inside edge.of said CSEK.

Once it is relieved enough to set squarely it is golden...do a little at a time fitting frequently.

Easy peasy

JM7.3CW Eh!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.5", 8.8", 9", 10.25, 10.5 Ford Axle , all the same solid kit. I just Mod the spacer so it sits perfect on the pinion, yours may sit fine, just check it.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just a slight bevel on the inside of the side that will be touching the pinion and not the side touching the outer bearing just to help it sit square? That loose of a fit plus the beveled edge, could the solid spacer be pressed farther on under stress than intended and lose preload?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just a slight bevel on the inside of the side that will be touching the pinion and not the side touching the outer bearing just to help it sit square? That loose of a fit plus the beveled edge, could the solid spacer be pressed farther on under stress than intended and lose preload?

Both Russ and myself have done these spacers...they work incredible....it is solid and if setting squarely on pinion it cannot lose preload like a squishy crush sleeve can and do.

Once you get preload set...btw without the seal in place remove yoke...install new seal...install yoke...install NEW pinion nut add some red locktite if you must...and torque to speck...easy peasy...once all other work is done...pinion depth and gear pattern of course all.come first.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If yours is a little looser, try and hang a fingernail in the gap if there is one, if not, you are good. I had 3 crush sleeves fail in normal use, stock tires and so on, just light towing and hauling.
no more crush sleeves for me ever, If one is not made , I will make one for whatever gears im working on.
But Ratech has them all.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shims have a smaller inside diameter than the collar. They fit very snug. The collar is very loose and I could definitely fit a finger nail between it and the pinion. Could I just put the shims on first then the collar so it will sit square?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online