Climate control isssyeewz!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this dilemma.... Climate control works great, except fan controller. Works on high only, but lower fan speeds do not.

Is this a vacuum problem or electric??? No, I haven't installed electric vacuum pump yet.

I'm sure it's electric. Will I have to replace entire controller or is fan switch separate..... I know.... I know, it's the hopeful question.

Thx in advance!

Last edited:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
On the heater box under the hood. If you have a/c its sticking in that. "It" is a resistor pack

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Yup thats an electrical problem just as 91idi has said. Its what that electric connector plugs into on the AC box

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what the resistor pack looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

They can be acquired new and aren't that expensive.

With that said...I would also strongly recommend checking out the blower fan itself. It's not uncommon for the resistor packs to fail, but their failing can be a symptom of the fan pulling too much juice...I would look at the plug on the fan itself to see if anything's melted, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the fan and see how easily it spins. It's not terribly uncommon for a fan (especially if it's original equipment) to have bearings going dry...I've lubricated my fan bearings before, but long-term, the fan may need to be replaced if it takes too much effort to spin it. That'll also give you a golden opportunity to clean any leaves and whatnot out of the ducts :angel:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
My switch on the hvac that controls the speed melted inside and it caused only certain speeds to work as well. Could be a possibility.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what the resistor pack looks like:

They can be acquired new and aren't that expensive.

Very true!

That'll also give you a golden opportunity to clean any leaves and whatnot out of the ducts :angel:

Leaves in mine actually started smoking when they built up enough to contact the resister pack. Blew smoke out the vents. :eek: Thought the truck was on fire-Flame Thr Unplugged the resistor pack, drove home, cleaned it out and replaced the resistor pack, no more smoke. :Thumbs Up :Thumbs Up

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome!!

Thanks again for all you help.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny how aggravating something as simple and silly as this resistor can be. But like mentioned, it does give an excuse to clean out the old plenum