cleaning carbon build up with water??

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i remember reading about spaying a very very fine mist of water in the intake to help clean out some carbon deposits. Is this right? I cant seem to find any articles for this purpose specifically.

do I remove the air cleaner? or keep it on?
it seems like leaving it on would trap the water.

thanks for any help..:hail

rip van sparky

Reaction score
A long time ago I removed the air cleaner from a warmed up chevy 350, revved the engine to 2000 rpm, and dumped about a pint of water down the intake in an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch stream. It didn't seem to harm it, it just made a bunch of steam come out. I don't think that it did much good, either. have fun John

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I removed the air cleaner from a warmed up chevy 350, revved the engine to 2000 rpm, and dumped about a pint of water down the intake in an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch stream. It didn't seem to harm it, it just made a bunch of steam come out. I don't think that it did much good, either. have fun John

if you did that ( stream of water) in a diesel you would hydrolock the engine and break ALLOT of things due to the low clearances

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
That is an old trick that does work. Problem is, you got to be REAL careful about what you use it on. If the car has a catalytic converter, this is not a good idea as the cold water will break up the hot carbon, problem is, it gets stuck in the converter. Diesels have such high compression hydrolock and severe damage can occur, which leaves us bascally with pre-emmission type cars. I watched the mechanic I worked for do this to a 65 ford one time and within minutes, there was a pile of carbon on the floor outside the tailpipe that would easiliy fill a 20 pop bottle and the car did run much better. I have also seen it done with a garden hose, automatic transfluid as well as a couple of products such as Marvel and there used to be a product made just for this, talk about smoke!!! :)

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
you defintaly dont want to do that with these enginges!!!!!!!!!!youll hydro lock it and end up bending a rod or something. plus i dont think that water is going to clean anything.

rubberfish

Reaction score
And for in your motor? I wouldn't
recommend using a "stream" of water.
A mist won't hurt anything though.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Water injection has been used for years. It's a simple and effective way of reducing forced air, charge air temps. The trick is to get it into the intake air in a fine mist. Just like a fuel injector does.

Do some research on Water/ Methane Injection. The **** just reduces the temps even more.

Ever used Seafoam? You just suck it out of the can directly into the intake. Via one of the larger vacuum ports on the intake manifold.

Definately NOT for Interferance, or High Compression engines.

sassyrel

Reaction score
a water mist injection system--homemade,or other--works like a STEAM cleaner inside the engine--ever seen a gas engine with a blown headgasket--which piston is clean??????????????? the one that the antifreeze was leaking into--which was half water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use a spray bottle filled with dihydrogen monoxide. The fine spray will be quickly atomized into the engine cleaning deposits.

Or, if you don't to do this, then just run some biodiesel, it's great for cleaning out carbon deposits.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For us naturally aspirated guys.... you're lowering the compression ratio! That's free power! You want that carbon!

It's different in a gasser, when you gen spark knock and the likes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most practical way would be to add a water (mist) injection system. Then you can run it on hills when your NA EGT's get too high, lower the EGT's and fight crud all at the same time. DO NOT POUR LIQUIDS INTO AN IDI, in any amount at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online