Check this turbo manifold out...

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems really odd to me. I mean if they were selling that and a crossover pipe i could see the value, bur even then it's not a supper efficient design.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
looks similar to the factory 6.5IDI. There was a pic of one of those on a truck here awhile back... It seems like they are fairly rare and came out about the same time the first Ford/IDI's did.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
There was some outfit several years ago selling that setup with a peice of square tubing welded to the iron manifold and a flag welded to the tube.Looks like they built a backyard iron mill and poured the entire thing with iron now.Wow,that is some REALLY horrible casting.That thing would seal about as good as a screen door with all that porosity.

sootman73

Reaction score
there was a guy on here that had that turbo system set up on his truck and i guess it didn't work any much better or worse than the other kits for these trucks. But i think it could work better just because you can interchange turbo more easily. the problem is that it goes on the drivers side rather than the passenger side which would make much more sense.....

heres a thread with the entire kit.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a guy on here that had that turbo system set up on his truck and i guess it didn't work any much better or worse than the other kits for these trucks. But i think it could work better just because you can interchange turbo more easily. the problem is that it goes on the drivers side rather than the passenger side which would make much more sense.....

There is zero room on the passenger side for a turbo on my truck.

turbos are pretty darn forgiving on things like exhaust routing. i am sure it would work. but it just wouldn't be any more cost effective then buying one of the standard kits available. It would also be pretty labor intensive if you do it all yourself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above makes good fodder but.... For those that are trying to fab a twin turbo setup this is what they need... I found an early turbo setup like this in a pick n pull.... It was worn out but complete. Someone actually had most of it off the truck... Then they found out the turbo was shotand gave up...:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If somebody would just take that and mirror it, then we could have a real twin turbo manifold setup. That would really interest people.

sootman73

Reaction score
i would be happy if someone mirrored it and sold me just the passenger side copy. i could setup a 6.5l turbo system and they work quite well with the option to make turbo changes easily.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems very weird. I don't see how that would work very well with exhaust dumping out the manifiold and to the turbo? The exhaust will take the path of least reasistance, which will be out the back of the manifold, with only a little getting to the turbine.:dunnocookoo Is there supposed to be a cross over to "enter" the "exit" on the passenger's side manifold? Even so, that would be a weird set up.

Heath

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath, there would be a crossover pipe from the other manifold to this one. That way both sides would be exiting through the turbo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is weird. The "exhaust" on that manifold becomes an "intake" LOL But then Heath is used to only thinking of holes as having things that travel in only one direction (although I can imagine there have been fathers that were so disturbed they wanted him to put it back!) LOL

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any man over 30 should know that ever hole is bi-directional. HA prostate jokes!

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing looks like its recently blasted, not recently cast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle