Reaction score
In my best Johnny Carson ......"I did not know that" :D

I thought AAM axles were in par with Ford :dunno

BTW...looks KILLER Darrin :cheers:

....makes me wanna do mine :D

hay Darrin...now would be a good time for some discs on that rear ;Sweet
geo-
AAM=GM corporate 14 bolt.
they gave it the AAM name when GM spun off the axle division.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I am betting that this one would fit. If you want I can get you the measurements and let you know how much more it sticks out compared to the stock one. Let me know!
Later,..

If it EVER stops raining out there, I';ll have to crawl under and measure that clearance. I got stopped dead in my tracks last night by a downpour in the middle of a bunch of tranny work.
It sure looks like that cover would fit though. It doesn't appear to stick out more than about an inch further than the stamped steel one

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Well, that was quick. I just read the thread, and it's already over.

Actually, I was going to suggest powder coating, then buffing off the ribs.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey Darrin, it finally stopped raining, so I could get under there and measure the clearance between the diff cover and the nearest obstruction, and it looks like I've only got about 2 1/2 inches there. I remember it was pretty close just getting the factory cover off and back on wiggling it over the ring gear. I know when I go to rebuild the posi, I'm going to have to drop the whole axle out to be able to get the thing apart.

Does it look like one of those covers would be able to wiggle in with that kind of clearance?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only the 03+ Cummins trucks that have the oddball axles and goofy gear ratios... All the first and second gens have good 'ol dana stuff. 3.54 in both of mine...
It works just fine ratio wise, even when you lose a shift fork and don't have 3rd or 4th.... LOL

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
well whenever there is a chance to look at darrins rearend everyone jumps on it right away...LOL

Thats cause it is hard to beat a Tosh ****....;Really

BTW...looks KILLER Darrin

....makes me wanna do mine

hay Darrin...now would be a good time for some discs on that rear

Thanks Geo, Yes the Discs brakes are tempting but I want it to be a simple swap in and out. The Discs will probablly come at a later date, after hydroboost.

Hey Darrin, it finally stopped raining, so I could get under there and measure the clearance between the diff cover and the nearest obstruction, and it looks like I've only got about 2 1/2 inches there. I remember it was pretty close just getting the factory cover off and back on wiggling it over the ring gear. I know when I go to rebuild the posi, I'm going to have to drop the whole axle out to be able to get the thing apart.

Does it look like one of those covers would be able to wiggle in with that kind of clearance?

Sorry it took so long to get back yo you but from what I can measre, it looks ike this cover sticks out about 3/4" to 1" more than the stock steel one.

I say if you are going to rebuild the rear end, install the cover at that time and you will be good for a long time. You also may be able to loosen the shocks and let the rear end drop a little more if you ever do have to remove it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks to Craigslist and Fed Ex I got my Dana 60 front end cover in the mail yesterday. I will scuff it and paint it to match the rear cover. It will get installed when i get the 3:55's and Detroit Locker installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 3

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Come on now -we all know that Darrin is selfish....

"Ribbed for Her pleasure" - Ha - No Way!

He turns them wrong side out and....

"WaLa" - Now it's:

"Ribbed for his pleasure"

I couldn't resist that one there Darrin!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worse yet. Your the one looking at it most of the time. So its ribbed for YOUR pleasure. :eek:

LOL

tractorman86

Reaction score
oh dear lord...:rotflmao:rotflmao you know i've been wondering if i could get a cover that would line up on the bolt circle of the D50 up front. i'm thinking about chopping out the housing and making it a removable cover but not sure if it would hurt the structural integraty of the driverside axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online