Champion radiators SUCK!!!!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Genesis make a really nice all aluminum Raditator. I have on in my Suburban been in for 2 years no leaks.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2nd brass/copper,ready rad (3 core) is still leaking too.this second one is remaining a slow leak though so iv not been in a hurry to replace it.
advanced auto's warranty was "limited" meaning they could replace it with whatever else they have.this meant the plastic tanks and i think it was 2 core is what they offered me.

so your not alone.a lot of people here are running those champions issue free for a while though.which is more than i can say for my ready rad experience.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genesis make a really nice all aluminum Raditator. I have on in my Suburban been in for 2 years no leaks.

really nice usually means not so nice price though.:D what do those run? and do they make 'em for the diesels?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.do you know how to test for it? Ground one end of your multi meter and put the other end in the water. Anything over .3v will eat the soft aluminum radiator very fast

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I do remember reading people hesitant switching over to an aluminum heater core because of electrolysis issues.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any currant in the cooling system will eat the corners out in a very short time.i have seen a real bad one eat a rad in 10 days.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what is the root cause of electrolysis?

What can we do to avoid problems like this?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unmaintined cooling systems that are full of rust. When antifreeze loses its ability to protect metal it becomes acidic and eats the metal which creates rust.

Some rust particles are posativly charged and others are negative so they along with acidic coolant make voltage. Just like a car battery. The aluminum rad and aluminum heater fail first

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aluminum 3 core that gave up the ghost after 2 or 3 years. THat is not adequate enough! bought a plastic end tank unit for 220(with discountcode, regular 260 i think) from AZ. life time warranty.
THe aluminum was lifetime as well but you have to ship it etc etc, so your out a week+ and 70 bucks on shipping. Or call up AZ, have em order the unit, bring it and your done in a day.
but ideally...you wont have to use the warrantly.

My philosophy...keep the warranties...give me a good product!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you can test by using a voltmeter.
I believe this is why some people will add grounds to the cooling system.
And some even add in the anode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what water you put in the rad when you ran just plain water? Was it just tap water, well water or Steam distilled. To show rust like that, tells me the water had a lot of dissolved iron in it, possibly from the block. All coolants have a rust inhibitor in them, some coolants are specific for aluminum rads.

I would get a couple of block off plugs (available at Hardware), with a testing cap, induce 10 PSI air into it, that will show you where it's definitely leaking.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop I took it to had it under water and pressure tested it. it's definitely leaking from the corner. The guy at the shop said that he sees this all the time a leak in the corner and it's just the ****** made over seas garbage. He also said he could get me a different one but he won't say it will last more than a year just that it's life time warranty so I can get a new one when I need it. He never said anything about rust taking it out.

The guy at the ship has been doing nothing but radiator repair for 20+ years

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aluminum 3 core that gave up the ghost after 2 or 3 years. THat is not adequate enough! bought a plastic end tank unit for 220(with discountcode, regular 260 i think) from AZ. life time warranty.
THe aluminum was lifetime as well but you have to ship it etc etc, so your out a week+ and 70 bucks on shipping. Or call up AZ, have em order the unit, bring it and your done in a day.
but ideally...you wont have to use the warrantly.

My philosophy...keep the warranties...give me a good product!
I too keep ALL receipts! I'm not dealing with mail-order items that important and LARGE pulse the shipping cost, then it's their opinion as to warranty or not and the down time so, and even though a plastic tank will eventually fail too and when it does, Auto Zone or Advance will exchange it out for another and if be another. ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too keep ALL receipts! I'm not dealing with mail-order items that important and LARGE pulse the shipping cost, then it's their opinion as to warranty or not and the down time so, and even though a plastic tank will eventually fail too and when it does, Auto Zone or Advance will exchange it out for another and if be another. ;Sweet

yeah your right.i was contemplating the new 4 core champion rad myself but you really need to simply get the sucker out,a quick run to town to grab another and get it back in same day when we rely on a work truck.for something like this,that really is the best method even if you can't get the best product.