Champion radiators SUCK!!!!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep. twin gt35 turbos on the 5.3. 500+rwhp at 8ish lbs of boost. Total, 2k including engine and complete turbo setup (hell i got the engine and complete harness for 350..).When people get mad, i ask them..are you paying my bills? Donate me a 500 rwhp SBF and ill gladly run it. Sounds better too! But I dont have 6k to build a RELIABLE 500 horse SBF. Bang for the buck and reliability, just cant beat the LS engine.

id pedal first.:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tanks are not what worry me, hell every OEM car since mid 2000s at least has plastic tanks and they are just fine.
Honest question...Mercedes diesels were running aluminum radiators with plastic tanks in the early 80's. They have a common problem of the upper hose neck snapping off; AFAIK this wasn't an issue when the radiators were relatively new, but as the older ones are going past 30 years old now, it's getting to be a trouble spot/expensive repair. Has anything been done on newer radiator designs, such as this one, to address this potential problem?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indeed that is always an area of concern. On the spectra I sintalled, no special attention is paid in that area. Perhaps the plastic is thicker but unlikely. A flange/smooth transition of some sort would help support it. However if a rad lasted 30 years..I wouldnt be too mad about that breaking :p..Well, i would be a little still.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The tanks are not what worry me, hell every OEM car since mid 2000s at least has plastic tanks and they are just fine.

Well... except with the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7, and Cummins radiators. Lol

But I've never had a problem with plastic tanks in gas vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I ordered the Advance Auto Spectra-radiator, should be in tomorrow or the next (the old brass copper is now dripping bad) also ordered the upper & lower hoses. (Dayco)
Advance Auto put me under a shop account so the Rad cost (no tax) was $220 with the two hoses totaled at $245.00
I'll post my thoughts on this radiator when I see it, how fitment goes and how it cools.
Even though the tanks are plastic...Lifetime warranty...well, that's a big plus!
Oh, two years ago I had to replace the OE brass/copper rad in my 81 Vette...another Spectra plastic tank from Advance.
During the hottest summer temps with the AC on the new rad keeps the engine cooler then I can ever remember....and again > > > lifetime warranty, and I always keep my receipts ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I ordered the Advance Auto Spectra-radiator, should be in tomorrow or the next (the old brass copper is now dripping bad) also ordered the upper & lower hoses. (Dayco)
Advance Auto put me under a shop account so the Rad cost (no tax) was $220 with the two hoses totaled at $245.00
I'll post my thoughts on this radiator when I see it, how fitment goes and how it cools.
Even though the tanks are plastic...Lifetime warranty...well, that's a big plus!
Oh, two years ago I had to replace the OE brass/copper rad in my 81 Vette...another Spectra plastic tank from Advance.
During the hottest summer temps with the AC on the new rad keeps the engine cooler then I can ever remember....and again > > > lifetime warranty, and I always keep my receipts ;Sweet

order online at advance auto right now and use promo code TRT30 and get 30% off orders over $50 ;Sweet

have a discover card?
shop through discover,then go through their site there and get an instant 5% back that way first,then use promo code trt30 then use the discover card with rewards (like IT if you have it) for another 1% back [1% only because that would be "all other" right now,their 5% is currently amazon] (just pay in full so you don't pay interest or it'll cost you instead.)

that "should" work for a 36% off.......i didn't try.im just guessing.

hmm.well disregard the normal additional 1% on all other purchases i don't think you'd get that while "shopping through" looks like going through that way gives you a total of an extra 5% but anywho lol 35% anyway.30% just using the promo code should suffice....but if you've got a discover card anyway...;)

caution;
just always remember credit cards with rewards don't pay if you know you'll be caring a balance and or simply buying things you wouldn't normally buy just to find deals.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
order online at advance auto right now and use promo code TRT30 and get 30% off orders over $50 ;Sweet

have a discover card?
shop through discover,then go through their site there and get an instant 5% back that way first,then use promo code trt30 then use the discover card with rewards (like IT if you have it) for another 1% back [1% only because that would be "all other" right now,their 5% is currently amazon] (just pay in full so you don't pay interest or it'll cost you instead.)

that "should" work for a 36% off.......i didn't try.im just guessing.

hmm.well disregard the normal additional 1% on all other purchases i don't think you'd get that while "shopping through" looks like going through that way gives you a total of an extra 5% but anywho lol 35% anyway.30% just using the promo code should suffice....but if you've got a discover card anyway...;)

caution;
just always remember credit cards with rewards don't pay if you know you'll be caring a balance and or simply buying things you wouldn't normally buy just to find deals.
Think I'm still way ahead with my discounts and no tax plus...they emailed me an instore $20.00 gift card to print out ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online