cb radio

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
since i do alot of cross country driving i was thinkin about of putting in a cb radio and just wondering what cb and antennas yall are using also where did you put them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a 20 year old Uniden PC66, peaked, tweaked, talkback and hot finals pushing way more than the gov't allows:D .

Antenneas are 20 year old twin factory tuned Francis Rusty Rooster's mounted on each side of my toolbox with 18' of RG59 (IIRC) co-phased coax that I run between the bed and cab, then along the frame and come through into the cab via a factory rubber plug in the floor near the go fast pedal...... That's how I ran it on both Superduties, my OBS IDI they were mounted on the west coast mirrors.

WD40

Reaction score
I now run a Galaxy 99 DXC that is all most new. I use a Frances 5 x 5 (red one) using 18 foot of coax.
It has worked great for me so far. Good luck on what you decide to use.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a ham radio license if you really want to talk, and you can run way more watts than Tonkadoc and be legal too.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot about the Uniden pro 510 back up radio too. Does a pretty good job for an inexpensive no frills radio. Yep and it's peaked and tuned also, just not cranked high enough to blow the stock final.

Get a ham radio license if you really want to talk, and you can run way more watts than Tonkadoc and be legal too.

That wouldn't be any fun... Besides, I don't need to talk to truckers in Japan:eek: ....... Just need enough to talk over the majority of the BS when I want to be heard.:D

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
the reason why i was asking is because i have 4 cb's and dont know witch to use. one is a royal but dont know what model , other is a cobra ltd 25 , next is a general electric about 20 years old , and a cobra sound tracker. the only one that i think dosen't work is the sound tracker no noise you can talk but not receive . i realy want to run the ltd 25 and dont know what antenna what to use all used to work and came of tractors or big rigs.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cobra 25 is a good radio. Same radio as the Uniden PC66, just a different name. Any CB shop can probably fix the LTD if you want to.

For simplicity, you can run a single Francis antennea with IIRC 18' of RG58 coax.

The Francis antenneas are factory tuned for the correct coax type and length so you don't need to worry about tuning the antennea with an SWR meter. They also have a lifetime warranty, or at least they used too, don't know what it is now since Barjan bought the company.

Another good antennea that is pretty popular is the K40, never heard bad about them. you can get them with a magnetic base too.

I've also used Firesticks with good results.

Whatever you choose, get the correct type and length of coax and if it needs to be tuned get an SWR meter or have a CB shop set it for you.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I run a old GE with cobra magnetic mount in my 02 and an old Cobra 29 XLT or something like that with 18' splitter and 4' Barjan whips mounted on my tool box.

cowfarmer16

Reaction score
would a wilson 2000 be the same as a k40 . The only antennas i could find is on ebay any suggestions? also i herd that duel antennas are worse than a single.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a wilson 2000 be the same as a k40 . The only antennas i could find is on ebay any suggestions? also i herd that duel antennas are worse than a single.

Wilson is a good antennae too.

There are at least 5 truckstops that I know of and about 15 Radio Shack stores located within 20 miles of you so if you can't find an antennea locally you ain't looking too hard.

Duals vs single is more a matter of prefference IMHO, you'll hear arguments both ways. It's more a matter of placement and it's easier to tune a single. I have run both and preffer duals.

aggitator

Reaction score
Wilson 2000 is better than a k40, same performance when new but 2 years down the road the wilson still performs as new unlike the k40. Wilson uses silver plated wire that dont tarnish like plain copper. All antennas are trying to do what a 102" stainless does but in a smaller package. You cant beat a 102 stainless with any other antenna. If you can a 102 is your best and cheapest one to use. $18.99 at radio shack, use with 18' of good cable, you wont be sorry. Can handle any wattage you push through it.;Sweet

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Wilson 2000 is better than a k40, same performance when new but 2 years down the road the wilson still performs as new unlike the k40. Wilson uses silver plated wire that dont tarnish like plain copper. All antennas are trying to do what a 102" stainless does but in a smaller package. You cant beat a 102 stainless with any other antenna. If you can a 102 is your best and cheapest one to use. $18.99 at radio shack, use with 18' of good cable, you wont be sorry. Can handle any wattage you push through it.;Sweet

Yep, I have two of them. Just don't go through any drive throughs with fluorescent lights!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the absolute best antenna that I have found personally is a full 1/4 wave or 108" whip then cut and tuned to as close to 1:1 SWR as possible....

My Cobra has SSB and I hope to find some mods to increase the power output.

As Mel said....get yer HAM license, it's easy and man you can auto patch and there IRLP nodes so you can talk all over the world. It truly is the way to go.

JM2CW

suprob

Reaction score
In my big truck I run a Connex 3300HP. I am not much on the "truck stop" fixes. They are generic at best. If you go to a good CB shop they can probably save you some money and get you set up on the spot.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my 95 i run a superstar i forget what model.normally a 2 pill amp and a predator10k antenna.the predator will out talk a 102 wip anyday.without the amp im pushing 2 watts.i can talk over most of the bases around me with ease.i also run a mirage 88 pushing 2 watts and hitting the 2 pill with it im deadkeying 250 watts and swinging 650.you dont wanna grab my antenna when im talking cuz it will hurt.sorry to say but the 4 radios you have are cheese compared to what im running.but will be ok if youre worry about being legal.a galaxy 959dx is a good radio and plenty of mods for it when you want more juice or more toys to play with.

any antenna needs to be tuned to the radio,i dont care if its factory tuned.i have seen so called factory tuned antennas running an SWR of 4:1 :eek: perfect way to blow the finals in the radio or pills in an amp.wilson 1000 and 2000 are great antennas.i run the 1000 on my ramp.was running a 1000 on my duallie till i got the predator.if you want to run duals and do it right you need a minimum of 9 feet between the wips.but a wilson,102", or the predator will out talk a dual setup any day.

check out www.cbradiotalk.com if you need more info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin