Can't get in gear while running

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I finally fixed all my little stuff on the truck this morning and went to back it up after I started it. I have a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate, clutch, clutch fork. I bled it the other day and I think all the air is out, its moving the clutch fork at least an inch if not more so I figured that would be enough? This is a zf5 and 7.3 just so you know all the details. I don't know I guess I will try to bleed it more but I figured this would be enough movement. The clutch fork seems to be installed correctly its snapped into the pivot ball. My other parts were hard to get in gear also and it was barely moving the clutch fork, thats why I thought this would work fine with as far as its clutching. I hope I didn't do something wrong and have to take it all apart! This is my first manual trans but everything seems to be installed correctly. I have done plenty of engines, transmissions but no clutches until now.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
How are the clutch pedal bushings? I had to reclock my pedal to get my clutch to release. Can you put it into gear before starting it then start it and move around?

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pumping the clutch a few times, hold the pedal to the floor for 30 secs. Rinse and repeat. The clutch should get stiffer after a few cycles. I had similar issues when I replaced my slave and it took some normal use to finally get it completely bled.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside - how did you reclock your petal? i think that might be the problem with mine. since after i replaced the bushings i had to push the clutch rod in to get it to line up with the stud on the arm.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rod on the master should (not all but most) be adjustable as well. If it is not providing full travel of the pistion in the master cylinder, it may need to be lengthend at the adjuster.

I'd also bleed it again. These suckers can be a real pain to bleed sometimes.

Heath

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to try bleeding more later, can't do it today. The master came with a new push rod and bushing, its not adjustable but everything is working on that. I tried pumping it but that made no difference. I actually almost got it in gear at first but there must be air. Maybe I can get someone to watch the kids and help bleed this later. Thanks for all the help, crossing my fingers at this point.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well I am going to try bleeding more later, can't do it today. The master came with a new push rod and bushing, its not adjustable but everything is working on that. I tried pumping it but that made no difference. I actually almost got it in gear at first but there must be air. Maybe I can get someone to watch the kids and help bleed this later. Thanks for all the help, crossing my fingers at this point.

Hell. Get the kids envolved. Have them pump it up while you bleed

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pull the MC and SC together and bench bleed em! Then reinstall once properly bled...

JM2CW

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Your firewall isn't flexing bad is it? Is your pilot bearing new?...If the pilot bearing is getting bad it will grab and spin the input shaft making it hard to get in gear.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kids are 3 and 4 and its too cold, if I had a shed or something I would get them out there, the 4 year old will be 5 at the end of the month and is getting to be fairly mechanical.

The firewall isn't flexing at all, The truck was an automatic most of its life so I think that helps alot. The pilot bearing is brand new it came with the clutch kit. I thought about bench bleeding it but I had a hard time getting the slave cylinder in. It came w/ a plastic strap to hold it compressed but I had to remove it and push in further w/ my fingers and pry the clutch fork a little at the same time. Not sure if this is typical or not the old worn out parts I didn't seem to have too much trouble putting it together. I think I am going to try bleeding it more in the morning.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Ford explore i couldn't get the air out of the system for the life of me. Turns out the MC has a slight angle down so no matter what you couldn't get all the air out. So to get the air out i drove it (lots of shutting it off putting in gear and starting again:puke:) over to my buddys house and up the side of his dirt pile so the MC was pointed up. Then I sat there and pumped the pedal hard and fast for about 15 seconds. That knocked the last of the air into the reservoir and it shifted amazing after that. Don't know if its the same on the F trucks but just throwing that idea out there.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still need to install the rear driveshaft, I just pressed in the new joints this morning but I was able to start it in gear and move it around. If after bleeding I still have the same prob I might try driving it some to see if that works.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I thought about bench bleeding it but I had a hard time getting the slave cylinder in. It came w/ a plastic strap to hold it compressed but I had to remove it and push in further w/ my fingers and pry the clutch fork a little at the same time.

I had a HELL of a time getting my slave in. I cursed and swore at, tried to use a screw driver to pop it in....I wound up removing the rod, grinding a little off the end (1/16 - 1/8") and then I could JUST barely get it in place with the rod shoved ALL THE WAY in. I am not sure this is normal either.

The adjustable clutch rod that everyone talks about.....is this the rod at teh master that hooks to the pedal, or the rod that goes from the slave to the clutch fork? And where do I get one?!

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was freezing out and I could barely feel my fingers by the time I got mine popped in. And guess what, I forgot to put the boot back on the fork! So I had to take it back off and start over.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Okay I finally fixed all my little stuff on the truck this morning and went to back it up after I started it. I have a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate, clutch, clutch fork. I bled it the other day and I think all the air is out, its moving the clutch fork at least an inch if not more so I figured that would be enough? This is a zf5 and 7.3 just so you know all the details. I don't know I guess I will try to bleed it more but I figured this would be enough movement. The clutch fork seems to be installed correctly its snapped into the pivot ball. My other parts were hard to get in gear also and it was barely moving the clutch fork, thats why I thought this would work fine with as far as its clutching. I hope I didn't do something wrong and have to take it all apart! This is my first manual trans but everything seems to be installed correctly. I have done plenty of engines, transmissions but no clutches until now.

I would be willing to bet you have air in the slave cylinder. I had the same problem with mine when I replaced it. The slaves are damn near impossible to bleed. I spent 2 days bleeding and messing with that slave cylinder and never did get it too work. I ended up going to Napa and buying the master cylinder / slave cylinder kit that was pre-filled and bled. Put it in the truck and worked perfect the first time.

I also don't think the clutch fork moving an inch is enough to completley disengage the clutch so that it will go into gear without grinding or even go into gear at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin