Can't build boost

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why I can't build boost. I have checked everything, checked for leaks, turned pump up, checked waste gate. I am at the end of things to check. This is a factory turbo set up off a 94 IDI. I can hear the turbo spool up but it just won't build boost, the most I have seen is 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. I'm not looking for anything big just 7 or 8 lbs of boost would be great.

Jim

FordGuy100

Reaction score
stab in the dark.... bad boost gauge???cookoo

Yeah, check the gauge. I would check the line for crimps, check all the fittings to make sure they are tight. Start there, if that isnt the case, check the up-pipes to make sure they arent leaking.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your EGT's doing? If you are making much more boost than the gauage is reading. Your EGT's should reflect that. If they are 400 degrees and never get high at all...you are likely not making boost. Gauges acan certainly be wrong, but see what the pyro is doing.

Also you may want to unhook the wastegate and take a short test drive and see if that makes a difference in you boost numbers and you EGT's.

Heath

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
not-by-the-book, i wonder if theres something wrong in the dump valve--i/e something stuck under it, like a piece of carbon, letting the boost bypass???? oorrrrrrrr--the dump valve stuck open just a mite--letting the boost dump also???? as said--disconnect the boost diapraghm--and move lever back and forth--should move real!!! easy--if not--get the shaft freed up-then snap the shaft back and forth a few times to make sure no carbon is sticking on the valve---

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How 'bout a bad (or loose on the shaft) exhaust impeller - or compressor wheel?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing Jim,

Are you seeing a lot more black smoke with the IP turned up (internal screw turned CLOCKWISE)? If you are not seeing any change in smoke, fuel might be the problem or at least part of it. More fuel with little or no boost, you sould see a ton of black smoke. If not, then you may need to crank the fuel screw more.

Heath

sassyrel

Reaction score
cheaper--thats highly possible, but youd think that if its never been apart--it should be ok---course ive known murphy also!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin