Can you have too much air?

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys I have been playing with my fuel/air settings.

Scenario #1- "Stock" settings the way the truck came to me with waste gate adjusted for 10lbs and fuel at no smoke. Egts would get to 1050-1100 on a long pull in 5th gear. Could drop to 4th and run it wide open and never get over 1050.

Scenario #2- Fuel turned 2 flats(fair amount of smoke when lugged under 5lbs of boost, Wastegate adjusted to 12lbs, Egts would hold at 1100 in 5th gear, and seemed to run great, just alot of smoke when lugging in 3-4th gear. It would clear up once you got above 8lbs of boost.

Scenario #3- Current set-up. Wastegate plugged, will push 12-15lbs. Fuel turn back to 1 flat above "stock" setting. This setup will run 1100+ in 5th causing me to back when lugging in 5th gear. Back out to 4th and will hold at 1050ish at 55, but still gets hot if i try to push more than 12ish lbs.

I love having the wastegate plugged because it spools much faster, which helps alot towing.

All these scenarios are towing 10k, 4lanes roads in hilly areas. All mods in sig.

My Queston is. It seems to run hotter with the fuel turned down, and wastegated plugged, than it did with fuel turned up and wastegate set to 12.

Is it possible to have too much air(plugged wstgate), and not enough fuel?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
just out of shear curiosity since your in PA.....what are your coolant temps like when pullin those hills at those high EGT's?

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you problem is your waste gate. Its pluged, therefore all the exaust has to go through the turbine, therefore making a bigger restriction and rasing your egt's.

If you had a better/biger wastegate that stayed closed untill you needed it to by-pass the turbine would solve your problem.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a new thermostat and fan, it only heats to the A, and with my gauges, and the fact that it is in the over temp light hole, and it run hotter then actual temp, i would venture to say under 240

Black dawg

Reaction score
No, you problem is your waste gate. Its pluged, therefore all the exaust has to go through the turbine, therefore making a bigger restriction and rasing your egt's.

If you had a better/biger wastegate that stayed closed untill you needed it to by-pass the turbine would solve your problem.

I wonder if one of those ricer boost fooler/adjusters would work . then you would still have a fully functioning (able to fully open) wastegate.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Seems to be the general consensus here that running over 12 psi without an intercooler isn't productive, and doing it without head studs is risky.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be the general consensus here that running over 12 psi without an intercooler isn't productive, and doing it without head studs is risky.

Lol well its been done by many. I am not worried about the 12-15lbs.... I am just wondering why with less fuel and more air, it is running hotter?

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its like a bleed screw that doesnt let the wastegate see all the boost your making there by faking it out to stay closed till you want it to open at whatever psi without having to change springs.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i could add that so when i hit say 15psi, boom it opens, instead of pushing the spring the whole time. Cause a banks system will only do 12 with wastegate connected. plus it spools much much slower with it connected

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I have against that do-hicky is that you create a boost leak while its bleeding off pressure. The best thing you can do its find somthing like the banks "Big Head" wastegate and modifiy it to fit your application, although they are rather expensive.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes, less fuel and more air makes for a hot burn( high egts/ higher coolant temps) running it richer with lower boost will cool down the heads and you'll pull easier without risking popping anything

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, less fuel and more air makes for a hot burn( high egts/ higher coolant temps) running it richer with lower boost will cool down the heads and you'll pull easier without risking popping anything

So either reconnect the wastegate, or turn the fuel back up

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I have against that do-hicky is that you create a boost leak while its bleeding off pressure. The best thing you can do its find somthing like the banks "Big Head" wastegate and modifiy it to fit your application, although they are rather expensive.

Its a tiny boost leak only on the wastegate reference line. I know that myself and many others have had good success with them. DSM turbo guys love a manual bleed screw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online