can someone help with my 7.3 guttless truck??

smithandrew50

Reaction score
first of all its hard to start , then starts and has NO i mean NO power then once its warm it smells like raw fuel and is guttless:dunno its a 97 f450 powerstroke

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i saw you post in a another thread that this truck is a psd. can you confirm what it is?
lots of details helps diagnosis of the problem.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many miles on it?pull the fuel filter from the canister in center of the top of the motor,what color is the fuel in there?when it does run does it smoke and what color is it.take the intake boot off and see if the compressor wheel on the turbo spins,does it spin freely or very stiff or no spin at all.look inside the intake tubes from the arir cleaner to the turbo,any dirt in them?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your hard start issue is most likely glow plugs or glow plug relay although it may be a low level in the HPOP. Check the EBPV for being stuck closed to aid with the lack of power issue and look at your up pipe gaskets as well.

smithandrew50

Reaction score
i read the stuff you wrote and im going to try a few things , ill let you know. it is verry helpful to have people like u here . thank you!!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What all have you done so far?

smithandrew50

Reaction score
i cleaned the fuel reg screan, and shimed the spring in the fuel reg. mine was broke. next i want to try the timing thing you wrote on. but the fuel shim thing was great, i streached the spring a little longer and what a difference!! more top end power and it rapps up quicker in the mid range wich helps in the tow truck. thanks alot!!