Can I degrease the cooling system at home after an oil cooler rebuild?

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did everything by the book as far as the oil filter servicing and think I am good on that front. Our 85 junker was neglected by the previous owner with oil puking into the coolant reservoir.

Anyways I am now on my 8th flush of either dish soap or cascade granules and it is still coming out mirky water.

I did the backflush thing as well.

I replaced the hoses as well so I started fresh. I see progress, but I don't want to put new coolant and the filter mod in before I get it clean.

I can run my finger at the top of the radiator and pull off an oil slick, below that line I can see the fins are cleaner.

I am just wondering now if this is possible to get cleaned at home.

I have some of the prestone off the shelf flush that wants you to run it for a couple cycles and will help with oil deposits but I thought I would wait until right before I was ready for new coolant.

I have also seen mention of the diluted pool acid at the hardware store and calgon.

Guess I am just looking for some real world cases on the cleaning aspect because when I search for the oil cooler threads, you don't see this mentioned much.

The soap has been cheap thus far, but now I am wondering if thats the best approach or if I should run something else, perhaps a batch of each of the other things I mentioned?

At this point I don't want to keep dumping money into it if it won't help. Thanks for any info!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Damnit I missed it. lol Was hoping to beat Calvin to his own punch line.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be 100 percent clean, use dishwasher soap as many times as it takes.
Put it in when the water is warm though (works better).