cam talk, how do they run?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets talk dirty about camshafts... So from my understandings the R&D cam is more of a "screamer" cam where as the Typ4 cam is more of a towing "grunt" cam. correct?
I'd love to hear from people running them. Im rebuilding a 7.3 and have a Hypermax kit to put on it so nows the perfect time for a cam

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Curious as well...keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm leaning towards a "torque cam" for my 6.9. Right now with the ZF/GV combo the engine is barely turning, makes the egt's climb unless I drop a gear. I turn 1500@55mph and 1750 at 65mph...and thats with 4.10's. A bit too slow for the stock cam/powerband I'm thinking.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that low of rpm you don't have the air flow for a lot of fuel that's why it has High EGT's. But I bet you get pretty nice mileage if you stay out of it on the flat... I'm Running a J2 cam in my Motor Home... 86 Vogue Cosmopolitan. Now Turbo 7.3 IDI Powered. J2 cam, 910 springs, port work, lightened rods, .030 cut ceramic coated pistons, balanced, 90cc DB2, HX40w Turbo on custom up pipe's, 3" 06 Dodge intercooler, 4" straight piped, 4 speed Allison. 18psi Boost. It pulls real nice for a 21,000lb. Rolling ****....LOL... (That's my wife's nick name for the MH) Check out my flickr page. http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts were leaning more toward the rpm power because my NA doesn't lug well and I have to keep it wound out when towing

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the pictures but that's more work than my 7.3 is getting! New baby cut my truck budget tremendously

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya Your 6.9 will like the Typ4 cam. That's the engine it was ground to help...NA IDI...Build a Cold air pipe for it too...

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I've seen the pictures but that's more work than my 7.3 is getting! New baby cut my truck budget tremendously
We've got our first due in about a month...I've gotta double-time my projects before its too late lol

I agree with the lack of airflow, the cam seems like the next logical step for me. As for mileage, I've yet to go on a long highway trip. However, a few short runs on the flat land have put it in the 20mpg range. Not bad for a heavy lifted brick that's 27 years oold...at least in my book.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got our first due in about a month...I've gotta double-time my projects before its too late lol

Actually it was getting married that hurt the truck budget the hardest, the baby slapped it again. Oh well, not complaining....too much.

I agree with the lack of airflow, the cam seems like the next logical step for me. As for mileage, I've yet to go on a long highway trip. However, a few short runs on the flat land have put it in the 20mpg range. Not bad for a heavy lifted brick that's 27 years oold...at least in my book.

Thats not bad even in 1 year old trucks!

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how much boost you can get with the new cams in a 7.3
With stock head bolts.

Nrliftedranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a rd cam injectors and pump ill let you guys know in a few weeks how it runs..... illl say this justin is a freat guy to deal with

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The typ4 cam was designed for the logging community na engines but it works very well on any idi turbo or not. Now could the grinder make one for just the turbo idi.. Maybe but I feel they would have done that already if they felt it was going to be any need for it. these engines run fine with the standard rpm. Adding a cam that spins them faster is a rick I'm not willing to take. the pistons and rods are heavy. they are nothing like a sbc that will spin 8000 rpm all day long. Justin has a product to sell at R&D that seems to me to be dependant on his package of intake, turbo and pump. Breaking up that set is not what I feel is the right combo. The engineering that went into the engine design is far more than we know. Usually changing any part of it like the pump will increase hp but it decreases mileage. Thats not true with the Moose Pump line of products. Many have proven that time and time again.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my type 4 cam to my brother. Its in a crew cab f350 dually 4x4 10 inches of lift and 38 military tires. The truck has no problem roasting the tires in second and he regularly hauled 10 round bales and 5000lbs of feed like it wasn't there.

But hws having lifter problems now and were not sure why yet. Still runs good. Just smokes and knocks bad.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I finally got around to finishing mine up, I've realized that my fuel system is DEFINATELY not up to par. I can't tell a big difference on mine. I'm going to start fixing that part when it starts to warm back up. I'm sure I'll be as happy with my Typ4 cam as others I've read about. Oh well, it was a $400 truck. You get what you pay for. One thing at a time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828