Calling all hydro-boost users

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....I posted that I am buying a new hydro-boost unit, does that have a connector on it for the return? ....

the pedal is all I need not the bracket right?

NO IDEA on booster...If not buy the fitting when you get it in your hand.LOL

Yes you only need the correct MANUAL pedal or modify your current one at your own risk. IIRC the pin is located UP 3/4" closer to pedal pivot:sly

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no "fitting" on the ps return line from the booster, just a 5/16ths nipple already sticking out. Get a few feet of 5/16ths return hose and some clamps and you are golden.

From my previous post. The booster has the nipple there. No fitting required.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here. Thought I would bring a picture to the equation.

In this pic, you can clearly see three connections. The two threads ones are the high pressure. On the right is in from the pump, on the left goes out to the steering gear.

The third connection is the low pressure return. It is a nipple that comes on the hydroboost unit with a hose and clamp.

You must be registered for see images attach

It returns to the front side of the reservoir as pictured here.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Riotwarrior did a kick-ass write up on pedals an brackets that you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY FOLLOW TO THE TEE! Unlike some other hard-headed members of this board  Search TECH 101 and riotwarrior for the thread. Also, something to think about...when I built my hydroboost I teed the returns together and my single-inlet pump was PISSED. Now, I don't know the history of the pump and didn't drive it until after the hydro was installed, but the pump was screaming in cavitational agony and I lost power steering while braking into corners. Google "hydraulic cavitation" for info on this marvel. Having said that, it's possible my PS pump was worn and couldn't handle the inlet pressures from the increased return pressure (two sources of fluid now coming into one, tee acting as an orifice/restriction, resistance in a fluid circuit increases pressure etc. ) but when a hydraulic pump receives more fluid on the inlet side than it's designed to handle, bad things happen. Maybe pony up the cash for the dual-return reservoir and knock out potential issues from the get-go.

DO NOT "T" the 2 returns together! They must connect to the reservoir seperately or you will get these problems.

I have a complete hydro setup thats out of the truck,i can snap a few pics of it all if that will help figure out what goes where.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps a bit.the return from the gear box goes in the same place it is now,on the bottom of the reservoir.the line dripping on the floor is the high pressure to the box.sorry,not for sale yet.

Should be able to bring this pic to the parts store and show them what you need.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who contributed to this.

Anybody find or have the correct pedal to sell???????????????????????????89 f350 manual.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1093022-my-latest-project-hydroboost-brakes.html
I used this thread as a guide when installing my hydroboost. Most of the thread after the initial installation follows his frustration with the original pedal. Based on his experience I modified my pedal. I didn't like the idea of a pressed in pin and I didn't have the ability to get a good press fit. I drilled and tapped for a 9/16 bolt and chamfered the back of the hole and bolt to get a good weld bead in there. Cut the bolt off at the correct length and drill a hole for the retaining clip. The original pin needs to be cut off beforehand.