Calling all hydro-boost users

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am changing to hydro-boost and I am listing ford part numbers. Before I pull the trigger and buy them are these the right parts for a 1989 f350 dully zf trans.
E8TZ-2005-B Hydro unit Auto Zone $193.99 no core life time warranty
F4TZ-3A717-A pressure line Auto Zone $20.99 life time warranty
F4TZ-3A714-A pressure line Auto Zone $17.99 life time warranty
E8TZ-3A713-B return line Auto Zone $ 16.00 x2 = $33.98 life time warranty
Looks like this is the way to go seeing what others have paid but I have 2 issues 1. the shaft between the MC and Booster if it is not included how do I get it 2. the fitting for the return line connections on the PS Gear and return line connection on the hydro-boost
I know I forgot to mention the 2 port PS reservoir but that is easy to get and low cost

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also forgot the pedal assembly for correct hydroboost pedal....there IS a difference in ALL years from Vacuum to Hydro, FYI

No idea on other parts, I've just purchased complete assemblies from recylers.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaft will be in the hydroboost unit, was in mine...

The return lines are just regular low pressure hose. Fittings are all there, especially if you go ahead and buy the power steering pump for the 89 f-superduty.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am buying the PS reservoir only not the pump--the reservoir comes with nipples--please read I posted--the fitting for the return line connections on the PS Gear and return line connection on the hydro-boost--I will need these and what are they if I go to Auto Zone and say I want??????
As for the shaft coming with the Hydro-boost unit that would be the shaft that connects to the brake peddle but is the inner shaft included between the MC and Hydro-boost.
Now the comment riotwarrior made about the pedal assembly is confusing because after reading all the posts there are many different posts about this. One of the main points is if I have auto trans as that is different concerning the brake pedal. I posted I have a zf and I have read that it will connect right up in the tech article.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You change nothing on the steering gear, it routes exactly the same as the original unit. The shaft was on both sides of my hydroboost unit. There is no "fitting" on the ps return line from the booster, just a 5/16ths nipple already sticking out. Get a few feet of 5/16ths return hose and some clamps and you are golden.

On all hydroboost units, the pedal assembly has the shaft mounting point 3/4 of an inch higher. Will it hook up, yes, will the geometry be off, some. Makes for a hard pedal from what I understand.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I am buying the PS reservoir only not the pump--the reservoir comes with nipples--please read I posted--the fitting for the return line connections on the PS Gear and return line connection on the hydro-boost--I will need these and what are they if I go to Auto Zone and say I want??????
As for the shaft coming with the Hydro-boost unit that would be the shaft that connects to the brake peddle but is the inner shaft included between the MC and Hydro-boost.
Now the comment riotwarrior made about the pedal assembly is confusing because after reading all the posts there are many different posts about this. One of the main points is if I have auto trans as that is different concerning the brake pedal. I posted I have a zf and I have read that it will connect right up in the tech article.

The post for the brake booster rod will be about 3/4" too low for the hydro booster. You'll need to source a brake pedal from a truck that had hydroboost when it left the factory or....cut the post off your pedal on and weld it back to the pedal so the booster rod sits level and not at a downward angle. This downward angle will severely shorten the life of your boost unit the rod can wear into the side of the booster or even cause internal dage to the booster itself.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....the fitting for the return line connections on the PS Gear and return line connection on the hydro-boost

Ok I need to ask this to be 100% clear. Are you referring to the Power steering Box return line? If so then it is the same as a non Hydro boost assembly, it just goes in like a vacuum boost brake/normal ps setup does.

OK FIRST of all, regardless of what transmission you have or plan on having, the Hydroboost pedal has the brake actuating pin located in a completed different location than the VACUUM pedal.

It does not matter if you have a auto or a manual. Both Auto and Manual vacuum pedals though physically different have the same pin location, which is completely different than the Hydroboost pedal.

Both Manual and Auto HYDRO pedals are again physically different but those pins are located in the same location albeit about 3/4" higher up the pedal arm towards the pivot than the Vacuum pedals.

For correct operation and geometry, you need the correct pedal, this keeps the system within the parameters the engineers designed and helps eliminate any potential binding etc.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Al

EDIT

:yell:PLEASE PUT YOUR TRUCK INFORMATION IN YOUR SIGNATURE FOR US TO BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO AND NOT ASK ABOUT IT

THANK YOU;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Al posted about the differences between the vacuum and hydroboost peddles is correct. I need to add this before members go and buy the wrong peddle. The pin that the pedals hangs from is also different from vacuum to standard trans to. Mel found this out when he modified the Moose truck for hydroboost brakes. He modified an auto trans brake peddle. Painted it up nicely and had one hell of a time trying to fit it. Thats when he figured out the manual peddles have a larger peddle pin they hang on.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I see where this is going I need the correct pedal--can I order from ford or do I play around with on line salvage yards as the trucks I need to pull from are not easily found in the you pull it yards. What year and model truck pedal will fit my 89 f350 manual trans????
Lastly I think I understand the return line fitting issue, is it as follows--The connections for the return lines on the steering box and hydro-boost already have a nipples on them and the PS pump reservoir has a nipple there as well.

Nobody has commented on the cost for new life time warranty items--what do you all think--good find????????

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I see where this is going I need the correct pedal--can I order from ford or do I play around with on line salvage yards as the trucks I need to pull from are not easily found in the you pull it yards. What year and model truck pedal will fit my 89 f350 manual trans????
Lastly I think I understand the return line fitting issue, is it as follows--The connections for the return lines on the steering box and hydro-boost already have a nipples on them and the PS pump reservoir has a nipple there as well.

Nobody has commented on the cost for new life time warranty items--what do you all think--good find????????

You don't change the return line from the PS box at all, undo it from the POWER STEERING PUMP, remove it let it sit there, when you get your Hydro pump or reservior then you reconnect it as it was.

Any Super duty Pedal from a MANUAL truck from 87-97 will work, and you only need the pedal, you take out your pedal assembly, remove your pedal and install the replacement. That simple...but it's not simple to do LOL may as well add the firewall reinforcement while in there since there will be NO BETTER time to do so.

JM2CW

If you dig, Tech 101 you'll find some pedals and info on them I wrote up...Search is your friend.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Yep. Riotwarrior did a kick-ass write up on pedals an brackets that you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY FOLLOW TO THE TEE! Unlike some other hard-headed members of this board  Search TECH 101 and riotwarrior for the thread. Also, something to think about...when I built my hydroboost I teed the returns together and my single-inlet pump was PISSED. Now, I don't know the history of the pump and didn't drive it until after the hydro was installed, but the pump was screaming in cavitational agony and I lost power steering while braking into corners. Google "hydraulic cavitation" for info on this marvel. Having said that, it's possible my PS pump was worn and couldn't handle the inlet pressures from the increased return pressure (two sources of fluid now coming into one, tee acting as an orifice/restriction, resistance in a fluid circuit increases pressure etc. ) but when a hydraulic pump receives more fluid on the inlet side than it's designed to handle, bad things happen. Maybe pony up the cash for the dual-return reservoir and knock out potential issues from the get-go.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing to keep in mind, now is the IDEAL time to add in a mag filter or some form of power steering filter while going through all of this work. Helps to keep out the Greeblies

Something like this

You must be registered for see images attach

I'd suggest that you add one in the return line from PS box, and if you drive in hot hot weather then maybe a small cooler as well...

JM2CW

Al

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I see where this is going I need the correct pedal--can I order from ford ?

The pedal is obsolete so you cannot get it from a Ford Dealer. Even when it was available, the part numbers for the vacuum pedal and the hydro pedal were listed as the same part numbers in the parts books. If you can't find the correct pedal locally, you can post an add in the Marketplace here and maybe somebody has one for sale.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other option....

Modify your own pedal to fit the new pin location.

It will be some time however I'll be doing just this in the very near future.

When I do I will do a MODIFIED Tech 101...MUCHO disclaimer that doing this poses risk to yourself and others bla bla bla...I'll be putting in many many disclaimer lines and so forth.

I don't doubt my capability, it's the the skills of others I doubt,

ROFL

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this is getting clearer, I have a question for Riotwarrior, your answer for the return line connections between the correct PS pump reservoir and steering gear box that is already in the truck is good to go. I posted that I am buying a new hydro-boost unit, does that have a connector on it for the return? The correct PS pump reservoir has a second nipple so that end is OK.

Does anyone have the correct pedal? the pedal is all I need not the bracket right?

I have 1989 F350 manual ZF