c6 with gear vendors od or zf5?

jedsled

Reaction score
So im converting a 1990 one ton e350 ambulance to 4WD camper van for some cross country highway driving to and from destinations... will have to go through the mountains to get to destination, some off-road travel for the excursions once at the destinations, the van has 7.3 idi with hypermax pulse turbo and intercooler, and have a np205 to put behind the transmission... not taking into consideration the extra work to put in a manual transmission, which tranny would you prefer for this type of use/driving/application? C6 with gear vendors od, or zf5? I want the best fuel mileage I can get but with the most reliable setup. You guy's thoughts????

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The C6 was not an option in 1990 if I recall. I think 1988 was the last option year. For ease of install I think I would stay with the E4OD and add the gear vendors to that.

Black dawg

Reaction score
he said converting to......and I have seen late 94 trucks (gassers) with a c6. Without hesitation manual trans would be used it it were up to me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. I was not aware of the C6 in trucks up to 92 year. I recall the E4OD first came in the diesel trucks in 1989 and the C6 was stopped in 1988 I recall for the diesels. The gassers I wont comment on. don't frequent them. So is there any verification to this C6 in the trucks dates. I would like to see this.

jedsled

Reaction score
Icanfixall, my 1990 e350 does have the c6 in it currently.. but mine is an ambulance, so the maker- wheel coach might've bought 1989s to convert into ambulances, and then titled them for the following 1990 year, I know that this often happens with motorhomes. And off topic, I just bought a moose pump and think I will need to rent a timing meter from you, can you pm me info concerning such? Thanks!

Black dawg

Reaction score
now that I think about it, all of the obs trucks that I have seen (with c6)were originally government trucks. There are two that I work on regularly, 93 f350 crew 4x4 351 and a c6, and a 94 f350 rc 4x4 460 c6. both vinyl seats and rubber floors, but both have a/c

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...131-0505-np205-transfer-case/photo-gallery/#5

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0505-np205-transfer-case/

Ya might get a lot of info if ya visit there.

Converting to 4WD, a C6 would be the tougher tranny if you want automatic, for off roading, do you want to do a lot of handshaking with a ZF5, an E4OD would give you the OD, but electronics would be involved. I would think with a GV next to the C6 tranny then the np205, would the front drive shaft be too long.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think with a GV next to the C6 tranny then the np205, would the front drive shaft be too long.

The GV goes on the back of the transfer case, so the front shaft remains the same as if there were no GV. FWIW, that's what I'm running - C6/NP205/GV. It is a solid combo, but I would love to have a more solid drivetrain connection in a perfect world (ie, lock up TC or manual). If money were no object, I'd run a built E4OD with a GV behind that. But then again, if money were no object I'd likely have a different van! All in all, the setup works well and I couldn't imagine just having a C6 without the GV.

If you were implying running the TC divorced behind the tranny and GV, I agree that probably wouldn't work out too well.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all of the automatics give up too much of the diesel engine's abilites at the low end. They all let the rpms raise way up too soon in my opinion. This may be what you want/need if your turbo is setup like that, but mine is a N/A and it works much better with the zf after I swapped it for the c6. And the c6 was a rebuilt unit.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regear to 3.55 and use an np435/205. Parts are EVRRYWHERE, get the second? Deepest crawler gear of manual trans, and its a very tough, very short combo. Probably pick both up for $150. At least thats how much I paid. If you find a gv for the 205, slap it on! Now you have a 6 speed(no overdrive in 1st or 2nd) and a very nice low range. Or you can find a ranger OD... now you got me thinking about my trans swap when my e4od goes boom!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 88 /c-6 2x4 h8tes to pass a fuel stop! 5 speed next on my list!!!
Fwiw cb

jedsled

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use the clutch master cylinder for an econoline 4-spd manual transmission van with a slave cylinder and hose from the zf5 donor vehicle and have it be compatible? I think the clutch master cylinder for the van has a remote reservoir because a traditional style clutch master cylinder wont fit in the limited space available in the van... and yes, I am probably leaning to zf5 , but im gonna need some direction such as this. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

jedsled

Reaction score
As for the np435, I already have the zf5 and np205, so this are what I would use in place of the c6...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online