c6 to E4OD transmission swap

4doorIDIot

Reaction score
what is required to swap out my c6 with a E4OD. i have a 88 7.3l 2wd crew cab long bed. will the driveline need changed? what is needed to make the electronics work.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been a LONG time, but from what I can remember, the E4OD seems to be longer that a c6. I know that there is a computer to run the E4OD. You'll need that and all of the wiring. Probably the overdrive cancel switch too. The later models (1992-1994) used a switch on the end of the shifter. The earlier ones (1989?-1991) used a switch mounted on the dash. I may be off on the years, but I think I'm pretty close. There may be other things you will need. These are just what i can think of at this time. If you think this is too much work, maybe you can find an aftermarket overdrive unit that mounts to the back of your c6.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct on the years. 1989-1991 uses an OD cancel switch in the dash. 92 and up uses the end of the shifter. The shift linkage is also via cable on the later units, instead of the C6 style arrangement of levers and bell cranks which can be adapted over. 1989-1991 still has a speedometer cable drive, while 92 up share the same signal from the differential mounted VSS/ABS sensor. This means if you do swap in a 1992 or newer tranny, you won't have any way to drive a stock speedometer.

The OEM control system for 1989-1991 requires:

VSS, TPS, barometric pressure sensor (altitude sensor), engine RPM and MLPS. Any one of these stops working perfectly, and the transmission starts throwing a hissy fit.

The bare minimum you need to control this transmission with an aftermarket computer is: VSS (Vehicle speed sensor), TPS (Throttle position sensor) and MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor, mounts on the side of the transmission at the shift lever).

Also correct about the difference in length. The E4OD is internally based on a C6 auto with an overdrive added in front, so it is quite a bit longer and heavier. Your drive shaft will have to change, but you might get lucky if you have a two piece drive shaft. I got away with only changing the front half and keeping the rear half. The center support bearing had to slide back by 1" as well.

I don't think baumann still sells the TCS transmission controller that I bought, but they do offer something newer at roughly the same price. No experience with the new product but the old one has proven bullet proof for me. Tuning the transmission takes some trial and error though. If done right, you'll also end up with many more options than the stock setup.

Its not an easy swap to do on the cheap. One way, you go aftermarket and have a built in cost of $600 for the controller and harness, or the other way you get a complete donor truck and strip all the stock OEM parts in the hope that they are in good condition. I racked up many miles for a few years on the highway before doing this swap using the aftermarket approach. Even at close to $3000 when all was said and done, the upgrade still paid for itself in fuel savings. Just don't expect better economy around town or on short trips. Long distance highway is the only place this type of upgrade can pay off.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just wrapping this swap up, just need the baumann controller to get it on the road. Had to shorten the front shaft by 4 1/4" for it to fit. I was able to re-use the E4OD crossmember and drill new holes for that. If you dont have E4OD cooler lines you will need to cut the rear on from your C6 set and lengthen it. Also had to lengthen the shifter linkage. Other than that it was pretty bolt in. I am using a C&C frame though, so I dont know how different a pickup one may be. Chassis is an '89 and the E4OD is a '90

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cab and chassis frames only narrow down after the cab so the trans cross members are more than likely the same.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up using the new style cross member too. Diddo for having to lengthen the shift rod that connects to the transmission shift lever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online