C6 Speedo Gear ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
Just installed 3.08's on my rig today and the speedometer is off by approx 10 mph @ 50 mph. So when speedo says I'm going 50, im actually going about 60 mph. My transmission currently has the 17 tooth green speedo gear. Im assuming I will need a gear with fewer teeth on it. Doing some research, it looks like I might be able to get a 16 tooth but no less. Is this true? And where can I acquire this gear?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at one of the many tranny shops that are NOT associated with large companies, like Midas. Small home town automatic mechanic.

Dave

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Hydro-idi,

You have a few options to get the gears right for the speedometer.

Check out the build thread for my transmission and transfer case. The transfer case housed
the speedo gears and I show how I went to adjust the ratio. Now, using GPS, the speedometer
is right on the money!

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?69057-1998-E4OD-on-the-outside-wait-a-minute!/page10

Scroll down to #145 (I show the calculation there)

The Mustang guys seem up on this stuff. Places like Scott Drake and CJ Pony Parts will have gears, as will the
big stores like Summit (not affiliated with any of these)
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/speedometer-gears/transmission-make/ford

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
George

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to a mustang shop this morning and picked up a 16 tooth gear. That's as low as it goes. Ran it down the road and it's about 4 mph off going 55 which is better than it was. Don't want to take transmission apart to replace the other gear so I'm going to run it.