C6 Problems

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have a member that has a C6 and it just started loosing fluid from the front seal area and white smoke out the back of the truck. No issues before this happened. When he gets home he will be posting for some rebuild ideas. I felt a modest rebuild would cost from 250 to 450. I understand they are very simple to work on but I personally have never opened one up. Please post what you guys that have rebuilt these feels it should have done and what the costs are... Thanks...

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear this site and phones. Anyway.
I would look at the temp before a rebuild.
C6 are just like e4od when they get hot they will puke oil out the front seal.
If it does need rebuilt as long as the drums are ok a c6 can be rebuilt for less than 250 bucks.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear this site and phones. Anyway.
I would look at the temp before a rebuild.
C6 are just like e4od when they get hot they will puke oil out the front seal.
If it does need rebuilt as long as the drums are ok a c6 can be rebuilt for less than 250 bucks.
Maybe in 'Nebraska'...in SE-PA $250 isn't even close ;Really

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Folks as Gary mentioned I was driving home and all of a sudden the truck started slowing down, and acting like it was in neutral.
No I dont have a trans temp guage but after this incident I will get one and install it.
No I wasnt towing at the time. But I do have a 35' 5'er that I can tow from time to time.
As for the white smoke I believe it was the oil leaking out and burning off the exhaust.
Im going to rebuild this tranny but I need to know what to look for in case I should buy a reman instead of doing a rebuild.
There is no loud unusually noises it was just acting like it was in neutral.
If I need any special tools let me know what they are so I can buy them or rent them from one of the members here.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if Type4 has any kits for these.... him and Oldbull where a huge wealth of help and knowledge when I rebuilt mine.

If you're planning on doing the rebuild yourself, I have the AEM book for it, and can email it to you.

I used an ATP kit, this one actually: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8RAHG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took me prolly around 14 man hours once I got the trans out of the truck, and that was 90% cleaning. So depending on how dirty it is, it may take much less. I also poneyd up the money to replace the intermediate band with a HD kevlar unit, worth the money, especially as it's cheap. As far as special tools? You will need a tool to remove the snapring on, I think it's the high clutch, and a press for the bushings. Instead of the tool I simply used my press, and a piece of C-channel to compress the springs. Worked really really well. But the tool isn't expensive either. Re-assembling it, once you have the drive drums assembled, trust me, get a friend to help you drop it in. Sooo much easier.

all told, with all my f-ups along the way, I spent WELL under $200 to rebuild mine myself. (but that's partly because Type4 practically gave me the new gears for the pump) Ish still very pleased with the results.

A C-6 is hammer simple, but it simply takes time to fix it. IMHO, after rebuilding one, a shop is pretty justified charging you a day of labor and 200% retail for the kit.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/69-500-hp-rebuild-kit.html
http://www.broaderperformance.com/ford-c6-/79-high-strength-reverse-hub.html
http://www.badshoeproductions.com/c6.html

not needed, but sure is nice to have:
external cooler: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274
remote spin on filter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80277/overview/

that is under $500 for the rebuild kit, longer splined reverse hub, and a how to video, where Ken Collins takes you step by step through rebuilding a c6. He even has instructions on how to make compressors and tools needed. Only other tools are snap ring pliers and some good strong flathead screwdrivers. Ohh and 4-5 cans of cleaner.
My opinion is this will build an unbeatable c6 where you can tailor shift characteristics and you'll learn enough about the transmission that diagnosing the problems will be easier in the future as you'll understand how it works. totally doable for someone that has never worked on these things.

It is advisable to blow out the old radiator/trans cooler and also replace/overhaul the existing convertor, but I'll leave that up to you.

Later
Drew

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
You need to completely take the transmission apart. Use the book that Wyreth is sending you or use an ATSG service book for the C6. Once you have every last nut bolt and screw out of the transmission DISASSEMBLE EVERYTHING, clean everything including the case clean enough to eat off of with solvent. Once everthing is clean inspect everything for wear, Front pump gears, planetarys and every moving part. Use clean newspaper to set everything on once it is clean, only use cleaning solvent and blow dry, NO SHOP TOWELS! completely disassemble the valve body also keeping everything in order of each bore it came out of. Then buy your parts. You will need a kit preferably with a fiber pan gasket, A shift kit, add on cooler and external filter are also good for longevity, Deep aluminum pan is also a good addition. You may need additional parts besides what is in the basic kit such as bushings, thrust washers, band apply piston, intermediate band-can be any material dont spend extra for a supposed hi performance band. Then follow the book directions to reassemble transmission. Replace the torque converter as well, a stock one will work but a tighter one will work better if you tow a lot of heavy loads. PM me if you have any questions and I can help you through it and I can provide you with the kit and any parts you need for it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Before getting all amped up about a rebuild, answer a couple of questions. (1) how much mileage on the current trans? (2) when was the last time you had it serviced? If either of the answers include lots of time or mileage, you may need to consider a rebuild. Before that, change the pan filter and fluid. I once had this very condition and it was only because I had not serviced the trans in 5 years. The filter gets plugged and you lose shifting ability (so the feeling of being in neutral as the result of a half shift and no pressure for the clutches). If that seems to fix it, you have dodged a bullet, and I would recommend a deep pan for it right away, anyway. No transmission likes heat and a couple of extra quarts of fluid help a lot to keep it away.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Knuckledragger
I serviced the trans about a year and half ago which I drained the torque converter and installed a new filter adnd gasket and new oil.
The trans in the truck I will say it is the orginal one so it probably has about 200k.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726