Buying rear tires only on a dually

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are rated E then I should have no worries with them flexing and rubbing correct? Also I have the D5 rear axle which I looked up as the 4.10 limited slip. How do I know if I have anything other than a simple open differential?

Thanks

First, that's dependent on circumstances, under normal situations, you will have NOTHING to worry about, but on that one RARE occasion where you need to move a Huge Mack V8 diesel in the box, then no, you would need to worry. :dunno

Second, you answered your own question, directly before you asked it. You mentioned it's a limited slip diff, that means in Chevy Parlance you'd have a 'POSI, or in Ford Terms, a Trac-Loc, I'm not sure what Chysler named them; but it means that there is a friction clutch-type set-p in the axle's differential that will generally almost 'lock' the axles together, and then let the shafts disengage for cornering. It enables arguably better traction off-rad because in an open diff, the power of the engine is transferred to the wheel of least resistance, instead of both. So if one wheel loses traction, the engines's power will be channeled into the wheel that's spinning instead of both wheels. Your differential is a 'better bet' off road than an open diff, consider yourself lucky.

jwillvin

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation on the rear diff Andertusa! I will be hauling a 3000 to 3500 lb camper pretty much full time so I hope these new tires don't rub. Each tire is rated at 2680lbs at 80 psi so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation on the rear diff Andertusa! I will be hauling a 3000 to 3500 lb camper pretty much full time so I hope these new tires don't rub. Each tire is rated at 2680lbs at 80 psi so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

No problem, it's the duty of those with knowledge to share it with those that haven't. ;Sweet

You should be fine, those tires, will have a COMBINED weight rating of 10,720 lbs, and figuring your truck weighs, what? 7,500lbs( of-which MOST is up-front), and that camper( presumably being towed) will have it's own tires handling most of it's weight, you only will have the 'tongue weight' really adding to your truck's weight; which on a trailer like that will most likely be below 500 lbs, so you have a REALLY nice butter zone to work with there. ;Sweet

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, it's the duty of those with knowledge to share it with those that haven't. ;Sweet

You should be fine, those tires, will have a COMBINED weight rating of 10,720 lbs, and figuring your truck weighs, what? 7,500lbs( of-which MOST is up-front), and that camper( presumably being towed) will have it's own tires handling most of it's weight, you only will have the 'tongue weight' really adding to your truck's weight; which on a trailer like that will most likely be below 500 lbs, so you have a REALLY nice butter zone to work with there. ;Sweet

I was thinking he was using a slide in.

I thought the 235/85 load e's were rated at 3040ish?

source unknown

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online