buying new to me but used 6.9l with turbo kit

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
i have been looking at a friends 89 6.9 f250 l with a banks nonwastegated trurbo kit the body is in excelent condtion and it four wheel drive fivespeed manual trans the bed was to far gone when the he got the truck so he put a hillsboro steel flat bed on it. i was wanting to know what you think i should offer him for the truck the truck only has about 150,000 miles on it i payed $3200 for my 94 7.3 idi turbo diesel when got it and it the on it the little pic because thats red and white and it had 120,000 miles on it so what do you guys think
$3000 or would that be to much

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
*9 had the 7.3 motor. The 6.9 was in trucks up to 87 or 88 and 89 was the first year for the E4OD automatic. Boy what a POS that trans was.... Till you upgraded it years later and installed the missing parts....

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
you need to look back because 89 you could have ethier the 6.9idi or the 7.3idi its like in 94 you could have the 7.3idi or the 7.3 idi with a turbo or a 7.3 powerstroke it depends on the time the truck was made

SKimballC

Reaction score
you need to look back because 89 you could have ethier the 6.9idi or the 7.3idi its like in 94 you could have the 7.3idi or the 7.3 idi with a turbo or a 7.3 powerstroke it depends on the time the truck was made

Nah sir, you are thinking '88. All '89 models were 7.3.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It "could" have a 6.9 in it, just not factory. And if it is a 6.9, I'd want to make sure it wasn't an early block that had cracking problems.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
it says 6.9L on the block and it has the make year 1989 and i called just to be sure to a local ford dealer and they said that in 89 you could get either a 6.9 or a 7.3 i would have no reason to lie to you guys i mean that what the numbers on the block come back with i mean you guys might be right then agian you could be wrong because like in 77 all the trucks had the round head lights and in 78 they changed it to square but the earlier 78 had the round head lights so you tell me i dont care all i just wanting to know what you guys would think a good price would be not to start a arguement i just wanted to know like a said what a good price to give for the truck thats it i mean i could be wrong and if i'am i'am sorry but i was just asking what you guys thought

Last edited:

SKimballC

Reaction score
Now that we got that out of the way, your price sounds OK, but how's it run and how's it been maintained? SCA's kept up?

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
yeah it been completly maintaned anythings that ever broke been replaced and so you still think they didnt make a 6.9 in 89

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its a drop in engine. As far as I know, the 7.3s were phased out in 87. As to price...if it has been well maintained I'd say 3K probably isn't too much. I wish you showed us a pic. Bear in mind the 6.9s sometimes needed a head gasket refreshment after 10 years or 100-200K miles on the clock. A turbo might make this more likely. I'd try and get him under 3K but if its 3000 firm and you want it, you still won't do too bad.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hypermax22

Not trying to be rude, but some punctuation and use of the "shift" key might help us to better understand what you are trying to say. That way we can better help you or answer questions.:confused:

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno, $3k is kinda high, if ya ask me. I paid $1850 for my 85.
I've got well over $3000 into it now , though.

It WILL need some work, eventually. Prolly needs some front end work allready?

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
well its got a little bit of play in the frontend. the clutch is in good shape. and as far as driveing it seems to run perty king the charger i thought might be a little bit to much. because it seems like you have to drive it like you stole it to get the boost to come up. its not like my 94 at all. its starts right up no problems with it being -10 at night around here i used it yesterday to pull my bobcat and it seemed to do good. it builds about 10 to 15 pounds of boost at about 2,500 rpms so i'll probly end up buying it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...that is typical of a non wastegated turbo, you won't sdee the higher boost until high RPM. Your 94 has a wastegated, so it ought to boost right off the line. 15psi boost is pretty scary, I'd be worried about breaking something much past 12-13 psi.