Buying a 1992 7.3 IDI HELP!

Drake Smith

Reaction score
So I've wanted a 6.9 of 7.3 idi for quite sometime now. I've come across a 1992 F350 Crewcab SRW with the 7.3 IDI and an aftermarket turbo setup. Truck has a 5 speed and 236k miles. Little bit of blowby but not a ton, and green long life coolant. I'm buying it from the second owner who bought it from the original owner. Guy says its leaking tons of oil out the back and uses about 2 quarts a month due to the leak. Says it's the rear main. I had someone else tell me that alot of people mistake rear main seal leaks on 7.3 idi trucks for fuel leaks. Apparently its common for the fuel pump to leak at the back of the engine and then run down the back making it look like oil causing the engine to work harder and burning oil. Everything else checks out okay. How much should I pay for this thing? Not too worried about cavitation as I know that's a common issue on these. I'm more worried about the leak and what it could possibly be. He said the truck runs fine otherwise and doesnt blow any white or colored smoke or anything. So if it's the fuel pump leak, or the rear main, are those fixable? Like are they worth fixing if I can get the truck for 1700? I know the engine will need rebuilt at some point and that's fine, but if the truck will at least get me by for now I'm okay with that. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated thank you! I've attached two pics of the truck. Also has a newer clutch.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Leak may just be from turbo return into the lifter cover & need new gasket/o-ring. Someone else will pop in soon that has a turbo.
If it was leaking that bad front rear seal, would probably end up with a badly slipping clutch.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel (lift) pump is on the right front of the engine, just where it is on a gasser. The injection pump could be leaking into the valley, then draining down the back of the block, but it should be easy to distinguish diesel from engine oil...

It is also quite possible for valve covers to leak and run down the back of the block too. A rear main is fixable easily - once the transmission and flywheel are pulled :) but with 236K I have to wonder how much life is left in the clutch anyway.

Is it 4WD or 2WD?

236K is nothing for an IDI.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Its 4wd. And okay so $1700 is a good deal? The truck is in Vale, OR which is about an hour and a half away but the guy is willing to drive it most of the way to me if I for sure buy it. And riphip, I have heard that about the turbo return on these.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal to me... prices vary widely in different areas of the country. Much higher down here in MO.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Yeah how I stumbled upon the truck was I posted a want ad on craigslist wanting a 6.9 or 7.3 idi truck. Had a few people email/text me about it and this was one of them. I went to look at another truck that was beat to hell. It was an 87 with a 6.9. Had a ton of blowby, was straight piped, rednecked, had different colored interior parts than stock, had a 5 speed, and the wait to start light didnt work and there was a glowplug bypass. I offered the guy 900 and he said he wanted 2000. I told him I felt bad for anyone who would pay th at much for that truck with how beat up it was. I've never seen that much blowby on a diesel. I had a 95 Chevy 6.5l Detroit and that thing had no blowby and had a ton of miles. I felt bad for the truck honestly.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Oh yeah I'm definitely buying the truck. So as far as cavitation goes, should I be worried? I was planning on flushing the coolant and refilling and then adding the VC-8 Coolant Additive.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do other than put the proper coolant in an maintain it once its yours.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
The guy said the truck also needs a new starter and he has to pull start it? Besides that and he oil leak, theres nothing else wrong he said. Has a gooseneck hitch too.