Burning Off Rotella Really Fast..?

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I did my first oil change on my truck when I pulled it out of the field it has sat in for two years. Previous owner couldn't remember what brand of oil he ran in it as he owns a farm and maintains all his equipment. I bought Rotella 15-40 and have noticed that it burns off pretty quick. As in a quart every 700-800 miles. Is there a different oil that could reduce this? I know these old diesel engines have blowby, but mine is a steady roll of smoke coming from the valve cover at idle.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I had the same problem with Rottella when my 1987 was new. I changed to Citgo and never looked back.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
try any other brand of oil. most of the time it will not use as much. for some reason they drink rotella

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. Was only a small drop of oil on my drive way every day so I thought it was just burning it up. But to be using that much oil every 300-500 miles on mine seamed way to much. I ended up finding a leak at the lift pump and the intake gasket. Replaced both and now I use very little oil. Maybe 2-3 quarts over 5k miles.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Mine leaked petty bad with Rotella also. I switched to Delo on my last change and it slowed the leak down quite a bit. I found it at Walmart.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
When are you adding oil? From my experience these engines like to run a quart low. It seems like they eat the first quart of oil very fast then it seems to level off. So I don't add any oil till it hits the add mark and that indicates its two quarts low so I add one quart.

Also the oil is to be checked when hot after the engine has sat at least 15 minutes to allow the oil to drain back to the pan. That's how the dipsticks are calibrated so if you check it with cold oil it will show lower.

You mention smoke coming out from the valve covers? That don't sound good, are they leaking or something?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trucks seem to like the taste of Rotella too. But I've since switched to Delo, and have even done 5W40 synthetics with better results that rotella. It;s so bad even my cheap ass brother won't use it in his trucks

And he doesn't take care of anything.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok why the burn off? Mineral oil leaves deposits no matter how soon you change the oil, those deposits attach themselves to the hottest part of the engine, the pistons, that causes wear at the top of the cylinder you will notice with increased oil consumption, let the flaming begin
You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear this a lot. Rotella-T is rapidly becoming an un-favorite.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I tried Rotella some years back on my idi before I rebuilt it. Same high useage. Never tried running it again. Only Motorcraft 15 40 or Dello 15 40 for me.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine burns all oils. So far the best for less consumption is Mobil Delvac 1300 and Walmarts Supertech. It absolutely drinks any 5w40!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also had major oil consumption with Rotella. Noticed this when I did my first oil change. Changed to Supertech 15w-40 and cut oil consumption from a quart every 500 miles with Rotella to a quart every 1k. Replaced CDR and that didn't seem to do a damn thing. A couple years back, I decided to run a treatment of auto-rx and man what a difference. Again cut oil consumption even more (1qt every 2k). I plan on running one last treatment before I call it good.