Burning ATF

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Anyone tried it?

I got some free to me, new ATF, about three cases worth.

Put two cases in a half full tank of diesel. (6 gallons)

Seemed to run ok, noticed the engine was a bit louder just off idle as you were accellerating. Rattled noticeably louder at that point.

Something occurred to me while I was driving - my fuel is now pink just like off road diesel. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Is there anything to look out for running ATF? This was dino fluid not synthetic. Lots of detergents in ATF.

I did have less smoke at lower RPMS and during shifting, but had some black smoke at higher RPMS.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF burns hotter than diesel does. I ran it myself for a while and all I did was turn my fuel down a little. As to the pink color they might give you crap till them chem check the fuel. It will pass a chem check.

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run about 1 can of ATF in a full tank of fuel about once a month to keep the injection system clean ! I wouldnt run that much very often but thats just me! I wouldnt think it would be good on the engine to run all the time!

DragRag

Reaction score
ATF is like $11 a gallon. Why would you burn all that "new atf" instead of using it in a transmission? I personally think it is a bad choice, but not because it will not work just fine. Diesel is much cheaper to burn then new trans fluid. If you want to use it as an additive fine, but why burn a bunch of it at one time?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
ATF is like $11 a gallon. Why would you burn all that "new atf" instead of using it in a transmission? I personally think it is a bad choice, but not because it will not work just fine. Diesel is much cheaper to burn then new trans fluid. If you want to use it as an additive fine, but why burn a bunch of it at one time?

well if he got it free...

i got a bunch of type f stuff years ago for free. I didn't have anything to use it in other than the power steering (but i always run synthetic in it anyway) so i burned it all.

I still burn watf. Truck runs great on it!

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
well if he got it free...

i got a bunch of type f stuff years ago for free. I didn't have anything to use it in other than the power steering (but i always run synthetic in it anyway) so i burned it all.

I still burn watf. Truck runs great on it!

I use synthetic as well. Have to in some cars. What I got for free didnt work in anything I own. Was an easy way to try it out, no filtering or water removal.

I have a source for waste ATF, and waste hyd oil. Hyd oil is thicker. Not sure how it would work, I am thinking of filtering some and trying it. I think the lift pump would have issues moving 100% hyd oil.

I certainly wouldnt buy ATF or HYD oil to burn.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
ATF is hard to burn. The easiest way i can say this is based on the flash point. ULSD #2 has a flash point of about 150F and ATF has a flash point of about over 400F. As well as it really isnt good for the system. They add a lot of friction modifiers and other junk to atf in heavy doses. Im sure you can get atf that doesnt have some of the things in it but i still wouldnt burn it in heavy quantities. Some people will fill there fuel filter with new atf to clean everything out but that is gone and out of the system very fast.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping it on the shelf for using as fuel lube seems like the best plan for long term free atf use. I got a 55 gallon barrel from my brother inlaw that was US army surplus 30 wt non detergent oil. It was half full i uesd it for all my lawn tractors and mowers on the farm for years. He paid 20.00 for it at auction. took ten years for him to use the first half of the barrel I used the rest in 4 years. FREE Stuff is allways Good, unless your wife catches you unloading it from the trailer into her parking spot in the garage.:rotflmao

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I like running hydraulic and atf in my fuel, its lighter that wmo and pumps easier. It can burn a little hotter though. I would rather run it all the time instead of wmo if I could. I have run it at 100% with a heated system.

randomq

Reaction score
I run about 1 can of ATF in a full tank of fuel about once a month to keep the injection system clean !

I do this also. I had an issue with a metering valve sticking. Put the ATF in and I knew the second it hit the metering valve. Now I run a little every month or so as preventative maintenance.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run wmo, watf and old hydraulic oil all at 50%. Ran better than it ever has on the hydraulic oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.