Bullnose tach cluster

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you used toothpicks as paint brush? Not sure I follow… don’t understand I guess

What kind of paint did you use?

I want to redo mine, but, paint my needles blue, like the newer Fords.
When I painted the needles in my 83 I used model car amber paint and a model car detail brush (used to all be availableat Walmart).

Did it in around 2017 and still looks good. They have a large selection of colors so you should be able to find something close to the color you want.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I used model car amber paint and a model car detail brush (used to all be availableat Walmart).
I am disappointed in this. I looked for some model cars to put together over the winter a week ago while I was in Wal-Mart. I knew that they don't carry them any more, but I still had to look. I guess kids don't build model cars any more? I used to like to build them about 30 years ago when I was broke and wanted something to do for a couple of hours in the evenings. Yes model cars cost money, but not that much and I could stay busy for a week or more depending on how creative I wanted to get with details and paints. I got to where I used spray paints for the bodies of the cars. There used to be model spray paint in Wal-Mart that came in colors that you sure couldn't buy in regular spray paint. I even found out how to make my own metallic colors on the models. I included a picture of the one that I discovered my method on. It's not great, but it's the best that I could do. Of course after 30+ years and several moves, it's falling apart. Maybe I need to find a hobby shop/toy store to rekindle the old interest.

Attachments

• 102_4267.JPG
    102_4267.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 6

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several dozen packed up that I built years ago. My uncle got me hooked on building them when I was about 7 or 8 years old.

I haven't touched one since I tried to get my oldest stepson into them about 8-10 years ago, I quickly gave up on that venture as his attention span was far too short.

I still have a few unbuilt ones that I hope to eventually get around to.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed in this. I looked for some model cars to put together over the winter a week ago while I was in Wal-Mart. I knew that they don't carry them any more, but I still had to look. I guess kids don't build model cars any more? I used to like to build them about 30 years ago when I was broke and wanted something to do for a couple of hours in the evenings. Yes model cars cost money, but not that much and I could stay busy for a week or more depending on how creative I wanted to get with details and paints. I got to where I used spray paints for the bodies of the cars. There used to be model spray paint in Wal-Mart that came in colors that you sure couldn't buy in regular spray paint. I even found out how to make my own metallic colors on the models. I included a picture of the one that I discovered my method on. It's not great, but it's the best that I could do. Of course after 30+ years and several moves, it's falling apart. Maybe I need to find a hobby shop/toy store to rekindle the old interest.
I used to build model cars, stopped at about age 13. Not too long ago…

I think those are in boxes somewhere, been several years now of course… but I always would have my mom order online, and then pay her back. Christmas or birthday presents when I was a kid were usually either model cars or Legos… my family doesn’t do toys as presents after age 14, but I think I might also have some unbuilt ones, somewhere…

It’s amazing how different kids lives seem… I don’t recall using a computer for school, until high school… keep in mind I was homeschooled, and my younger siblings, have been using computers since like the 3rd or 4th grade! Glad that isn’t
me, I can’t get along with computers all that well. Took me long enough to figure out the basics of my phone… and there’s almost always something that I didn’t know it could do that somebody shows me, when I do it the hard way. Except autocorrect. To hell with that damned thing. If spelling is a little off is better than entire phrase being wrong. I want it to be MY fault dammit…

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s amazing how different kids lives seem… I don’t recall using a computer for school, until high school… keep in mind I was homeschooled, and my younger siblings, have been using computers since like the 3rd or 4th grade! Glad that isn’t
me, I can’t get along with computers all that well. Took me long enough to figure out the basics of my phone… and there’s almost always something that I didn’t know it could do that somebody shows me, when I do it the hard way. Except autocorrect. To hell with that damned thing. If spelling is a little off is better than entire phrase being wrong. I want it to be MY fault dammit…
I 1000% agree with this. Other than the required basic typing in about 4th grade I never took any other computer classes.

Sometimes I think I probably should have taken some as I think it would probably help me with the CAD design stuff I do for our plasma table now, but I hate computers.

James