Building the "snot" out of a mechanically injected Gen 1

dustydog

89D300 StoneMasonCT
Reaction score
I have an '89 D-300, 330,000 miles, previously poorly maintained, auto 12' bed dually. I want to keep the benefits of the mechanical injection yet wish to be able to at least keep up and even "spank" the new truck owners. I do know that due to the limitations of the mechanical injection the truck has to be "built" for a single purpose. I.E. Drag,Tow, Economy. I use the vehicle for work as a Stone Mason so I haul frequent loads in the 3 ton area. I'd like to tow, yet the brakes aren't up to it. I'd like a rig built to tow/haul and have a theoretical 600/1200 hp/tq rating and a stick. Empty, the truck is a svelt 5600 pounds with passenger, dog, few tools, crap behind the seat and a tank of #2, so a bit of power and she should come alive. I only have so far kept the oil clean, upgraded the intake filter and cut the exhaust off at the muffler instead of changing the system from the muffler back. I hope to have another engine in the next month from a '92 I'm buying for $2,000. I planned on using the 138,000 mile '92 in my truck while I freshen up my smoky '89 and getting an aftercooler out of the deal ('92 is 4wd auto). Would I be better off building the '92 or my '89? Are these engines sleeved or do I have to bore/hone cylinders? I'd prefer (for asthetics) to keep the original block. Can a 24 valve head bolt up? Would there be any benefits and still have mechanical injection? Would a pump from a larger cummins (semi) be fit or should I go with a 7100? What kind of manual tranny could I use that would shift realatively quickly and hold up to the weight and proposed power? I have no problem whatsoever with cutting up the floor for a dog house to keep a huge tranny. I'd prefer a manual tranny but an older "mechanical" Allison auto would be ok if it would get all future power to the hopefully smoking duals. I have about $5,000 to start and always get a couple decent "cash" jobs here and there. I just want to start learning more and come up with an intelligent, comprehensive, effective yet cost effective plan while maintaining some longevity because I plan on trying to get a million miles from this rig (I'm only 43). Lets get started, I have a more than decent mechanical ability and a friend with a heavy lift and alot of time. Oh, for now anyway it's a 2wd but....?

Last edited:

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
A few recomendations, I am sure there will be more & better ones but... get a P7100 mechanical pump from a 1997-98 manual. I think you have to change the timing cover also if swaping this pump on to a 1st gen motor. I don't know the benefit of using the 24 valve head but there are 24v trucks with mechanical pumps (search for p pump conversion) I would just build up a NV 4500 or 5600. Someone makes a rear disc conversion but I can't remember who. Go ahead & swap it to 4x4 since you are getting the donor truck & buy a set of dually adapters for the front. Good luck with the project!

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
With 5K for a build I doubt i could even spend that much to spank a new truck in my 93 d-350! For starters, I have a website for you i'll PM u, the folks over there are great for these trucks.
Secondly i'll start by answering some of your questions, A 24 valve head wont work on a 12 because of something to do with the injector placement, i asked that before.
The Getrag 5 speed trans is a monster of a trans it just gets a bad rap from the costly rebuild it is acctually a very reliable, heavyduty trans. A few guys do NV4500 swaps, why, i dont really know. If you want a different trans Id run with a nv5600 for the extra gear. But to start with get yourself a pyro, then start tweeking the pump. It sounds like from what u want to do, get a 12CM exhaust housing, and a stage 4 HTT compressor side for the turbo. These trucks came with an oversized laggy turbo. Then a 4inch DP, injectors, there r a ton of things that can be done without spending 2 grand on a p pump install. Look for the link in your mail for all the cummins info you'll ever need!

rubberfish

Reaction score
Just out of pure curiosity,
who's site has all the good info?
Chances are I already know it, but just in case,
I can always use more info and ideas on how
to spend more money.:D :D

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
www.dieseltruckresource.com
best forum on the net for anything dodge, and Cummins related! I dont know what I would have done with out them!! Im in the middle of "building the snot out of my cummins." I am about 250 HP, and couldnt give u a torque number.
4inch all the way back, tweeked and tuned pump, amongst other little things. I couldnt have done it without these guys, all most thought all was lost for an aftermarket and knowledge for a 1st Gen. cummins. But I stumbled on these guys one night. No-one can beat em! :music:

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getrag, good trans? I dont know about that one. The getrag in my friends truck pops out of 1st, 3rd, and 5th and its been out twice already rebearinged and such once then the second time the shift rails were rebuilt or something along those lines but the thing still doesnt stay in gear. For a little more than what it costs to rebuild it you can get an nv4500 which is a much better trans that the getrag.

P/S Im a diehard ford guy but these ole first gens have a soft spot in my heart. Theres not a pickup on the road that has a better sound than straight pipes on a first gen. Dont see many of em in my area though, I think my friends 93 is one of 2 or 3 that i have seen.

swank

Reaction score
take a look at the page in my sig. it'll give you some things to at least think about. ya can get 600hp + out of the ol' VE pump, but it does take some finesse.

dave

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one awesome truck swank. That thing must move. What trans are ya runnin? How does everything behind the engine hold up to the power?

swank

Reaction score
just runnin a poorly rebuilt (by me, first time in a trans) getrag. been holding for over a year and a half now. nothing behind that has busted either. and it's got somewhere around 450k on it???? go figure.

dave

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, thats surprising. The trans in my friends truck has somewhere around 100k on it and its junk. Pops out of more gears then it stays in and theres all sorts of slop and such. What kind of HP do you think your running? I love those old first gens.

swank

Reaction score
i've got to be getting close to 500 by now. in august, i dyno'd 421 or something, and have fooled with it quite a bit since. i just moved back from utah, and by the time i pulled into boise the thing was making a little noise. nothing too serious, but enough to let me know that i need to start looking for something better.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OMG! thats an awesome truck u got there! ;Sweet I will have a few questions for ya this winter when the ol 2wd beast gets parked. I have 333000 on the ticker right now, completly original (well as for rebuilds n such, hehehe) its supposed to have had a clutch like 230K ago n other obvious things, my shifter is tight as brand new. With these things u cant rest your hand on it or it will get sloppy it wears on the base badly. Also overfill the trans 1 quart its supposed to help, im sure u know that swank i saw the link to DTR on your site, my screen name is the same overthere as it is here. im not going for big time power but the 400 usable HP club wouldnt be bad either.
Chris88 I think your bud needs a new tranny shop, and/or possibly a shifter, if its that sloppy its possible that maybe it just isnt engaging the gears all the way, its kind of odd all the gears on just on side of the shifter 1st, 3rd, and 5th are the ones that pop out and not 4th or 2nd. Id put my money on a shot shifter doing that. just my $.02